Pics: Chiefs Vehicles

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JustaBuff

Pics: Chiefs Vehicles

Post by JustaBuff »

FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
dbcomm

Post by dbcomm »

Really nice job. I especially like the Tahoe.
dBC. Power is our first name®
philter

Re: Pics: Chiefs Vehicles

Post by philter »

On the first Crown Vic, just curious why you used the halogen hide-a-ways?
JustaBuff

Halogen Hide-A-ways

Post by JustaBuff »

Wow. that was an excellent observation. We Took over this particular customer a short time ago due to their previous experience with another vendor really hurting them in the $$$ Pocket. the other vendor was using a Module and cutting into the harness, but instead of using a Whelen UHF module he was using some overseas unknown brand and cutting in under the dash. Needless to say after a small fire, bunches of burned up wires, lots of non-working headlights, not one car with an over-ride or white cut out for snow and rain,Cars constantly out of service, the cust is a bit skittish on the subject of modules. We offered this an alternative. Obviously more work for us and could be more maintenace long term. but it made them happy and offered a solution to their fears of cutting into their headlight system. We use a 3term with 2 Whelen Halogen inserts.
FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

wow - VERY nice job. Low pro and neat. My compliments!
fd2119

Expedition

Post by fd2119 »

On the Expedition (first set of photographs), what are the 3 switches on the right side, rear? With the TIR3s hanging from the headliner, does that create any inside visibility issues (such as when operating out of the back of the vehicle), or flashback against the rear glass at night?

Thanks for some great pics!

- Doug
tvsjr

Re: Expedition

Post by tvsjr »

fd2119 wrote:On the Expedition (first set of photographs), what are the 3 switches on the right side, rear? With the TIR3s hanging from the headliner, does that create any inside visibility issues (such as when operating out of the back of the vehicle), or flashback against the rear glass at night?

Thanks for some great pics!

- Doug
I've got a Code3 LED-X NarrowStik mounted in the same position across the back of my 2001 Expedition. The light does reduce visibility to the rear to some extent, especially if I'm out in the rural areas of the county at night where it's pitch-black. I've got the switching set up where I can leave the rear strobes running, but dump the rear-window LEDs with one switch should I have the need.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

some real nice work

as for the head light flasher i do belive the new crown vics have a cut out spot under the hood with a pig tail
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

KitN1MCC wrote:some real nice work

as for the head light flasher i do belive the new crown vics have a cut out spot under the hood with a pig tail
Indeed - the cvpi's 65A and above packages have the hl-flasher built in already, as well as factory installed strobe bulbs in the front corners and taillights. Also all speaker and additional grille strobe wiring is already in there. Saves you/agency lots of effort, time and money.

As much as I hate driving a banana boat like that, it sure is nice that the garage can turnaround and outfit within a day.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

jedi_saber wrote:As much as I hate driving a banana boat like that, it sure is nice that the garage can turnaround and outfit within a day.
Yeah especially nice when you get to customize your personal hooptie as well, right? 8)
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

Well yeah! Would be wrong not to!
JustaBuff

Switches in the rear

Post by JustaBuff »

the switches in the rear of the vehicles are there to shut off the rear TIR3 or the Talon depending on which truck your looking at, this way while in command there is no getting blinded by the lights. the 2nd switch turns on the clear rear dome cargo lights - depending on the truck there may be 1 or 2 in the rear area. The 3rd switch is to turn on the rear Strip-lite LED lights that are mounted on the rear door, when this door is opened they are mounted to the bottom of the door and are used only when in the door open position, shut off the interior TIRs and now these lights are behind the Officer in command giving them good rear protection and they no longer have to deal with the other lights being on blinding them.
FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
otter9309

Post by otter9309 »

What is the console in the tahoe?
Wes

Post by Wes »

The Console in the Tahoe is a Jotto Desk. Here is a link to the website.

http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/store ... &status=-1

I have one of these for sale if anyone is interested....... It was used less than 3 months, then I traded the suburban it was in. I have the cup holder with it.

Wes
Wes Hutchens
911 Telecommunicator/2-Way Sales & Service
JustaBuff

Regarding your questions

Post by JustaBuff »

Sorry - Forgot to answer this in the forum
No the TIRs in the back window hardly create any glare- nor does the talon- I think its really because they are so intense - In the older days we used to use halon flashers and stobes and they both used to glare back pretty bad. Right now in my Dept chiefs truck I have a 6 positiion Dominator that rocks (not done by my shop though) - no problems at all. Im getting a new expedition next year and im going to not only do the dominator in the back window,. but Im also going to hand a second on the door for when its open like I did with the strip lights. more expensive but cool to have the arrow stick behind ya without having to be blinded, and of course not having it blocked if its on the roof with the door open.
FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

JustaBuff.....are you happy with the performance of the Dual Talon where it's located above the rear hatch? That's the same location I'm thinking of mounting one in a Honda Pilot. I was torn between the Talon or 2 TIR3's on either side of the license plate. Any suggestions either way? Thanks....
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

I know you were talking LED's but I think strobes would work especially well in the Pilot's back up lights.
JustaBuff

Personal Opinion

Post by JustaBuff »

Dollars and Sense would say 2 TIR3 would cost less than the duel talon unit- next any time you can get the lights on the outside of the glass would make that light much brighter then if behind glass - especially tinted. next - ZERO glare back of course is a plus. one issue is cost factor for the install, if your doing the work then its your time, if your paying a shop then you have labor cost - we have made our own brackets for around the license plates - there is one factory made for the crown vic by whelen. it definitly may take more labor time to get the lights wired through the door system of an SUV than some other vehicles. the crown vic is super easy. lets see- oh ya , having the lights up higher would be a slight bonus to get the distance or to get over top of a car that might be closer to your tail end, cars from a distance might see it better up high. Finally on my list of things to list. If you happen to be a volly and lets say you are on scene, open up the back of your truck to grab your gear , and if your door is now folded down or pulled open, if you dont put it back then you have no warning power to the rear.

something else to consider, we havent used it yet , but the new duel Dominator looks cool - gonna try one in a week on the next truck up on the back window.

I would say if you can - DO BOTH. If you cant, play the pros and cons game with your vehicle and application and pick what will work best for you. I would say either or both as long as its whelen. my personal favorite.
FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”