Trouble Tx-ing and Rx-ing on a MT2000

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SPVFD47
What radios do you own?: HT1550, HT1250, MT2000, HT1000

Post by SPVFD47 »

I got a MT2000 UHF that now I seem to have trouble Rx-ing and Tx-ing on. I can't seem to hit repeaters with it. If I'm in the same room as another radio, I can get it on a Talk Around but thats it... It doesn't seem to get any range or recieve well. My thinking is that theres a bad connection to the antenna. I've taken it apart and it appears that everything is connected. Wondering if anyone has had this problem before and/or knows a solution. I'm hoping its something easy and stupid.

Doug
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Generally if you're having trouble transmitting and receiving, it's either something broken in the antenna path, or the reference oscillator is way off frequency. This is assuming a single point of failure as opposed to multiple problems. Are you able to verify the tx frequency with a counter or other test gear?

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Nand

Post by Nand »

Also check if you are actually using the antenna that has the SMA connector in it, the one with the tiny hole in the centre.
Make sure the gold plated antenna contact inside the radio makes contact with the radio’s antenna connector and isn’t bent upwards after you put the radio back together.
And of course check the antenna switch that is operated from the accessory connector. If it is stuck pushed in, the antenna will be disconnected.

Nand.
SPVFD47

Post by SPVFD47 »

I have no test equipement on hand... But it does seem to transmit just with out any range... I checked the accessory switch, its not pushed in and have even tried with a public safety mic with an antenna attached to that and still nothing... I've also swapped out the metal case with one another one that I know the antenna works fine on... I'm pretty sure its in the curcuitry, I just don't know of any common places. I've work with electronics before, just not radios. The antenna connect is making contact with the connector on both cases, and its the right antenna... Everything worked fine up until a week ago... I suspect that the radio was dropped as it is a work radio.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

I would very much suspect a cracked trace then. What exactly do you mean by "no range"? Are you at all comfortable w/ a soldering iron? I would reflow the traces around the base of the antenna connection to rule out a hairline crack.

[glad to see you back Nand]
SPVFD47

Post by SPVFD47 »

Soldier isn't a problem for me... I'm comfortable with it... By no range, I mean that I can seem to hit a repeater maybe 2 or 3 blocks down the road. If stand 2 feet from another radio I can hit it, thats about it. I'll mess with the contacts like you said in the morning and see what I can get... I'll keep ya posted.. Thanks.
Nand

Post by Nand »

Here is a last guess without test equipment. Is the shield over the antenna switch crushed? This is the small shield near the top centre of the board with the small ground contact on it. This shield gets crushed if someone presses on the front housing around the speaker area. Like when someone bumps into a desk while wearing the radio.
Usually when this happens, you can see the outline of the antenna switch diodes under this shield. You could perhaps pull the dent out with a small steel pin through the ventilation hole.

Also as a check for power, key up the radio about 6 inches from the front of a computer screen and compare it with a working radio. The screen should jump a bit.

Nand.
SPVFD47

Post by SPVFD47 »

I did notice a slight dent like you said... Tried to pull it out but its too close to the edge. Also now the radio doesn't seem to power up. Haven't touched the soldier connects yet.
Nand

Post by Nand »

Assuming you didn’t blow the fuse located near the battery contacts, you may now have a flex circuit that isn’t properly seated.

If the dent is severe enough to create a problem, you often see an impression of the components under the shield. The antenna switching diodes are the largest and tallest items under the shield.

Nand.
SPVFD47

Post by SPVFD47 »

Anyway to pop the shield off ? I'll check out the fuse. I swapped the flex cable out of my HT1000 and it didn't work.
Nand

Post by Nand »

There is no easy way to remove the shield. A hot air station is what is needed to do a nice job. But if there is no impression of components visible, it is not likely that the shield is touching anything. I have seen a lot of radios with this shield slightly dented without any problems. You may very well have component failure that can only be traced with a good understanding of the circuit diagram.

As for the radio not powering up now, there is the fuse that you need to measure. Often it still looks ok when looking at it. Another possibility is the inter-board connection and sockets. It is not unusual for the sockets to come loose from the boards when not carefully handled. There also can be other reasons for the radio not powering up besides power.

Nand.
SPVFD47

Post by SPVFD47 »

I just put my HT1000 VHF back together now and seem to be having the same problem with it too... Is it possible I'm overlooking something stupid here... The gold plate looks like its making contact with the antenna connector. Nothing appears to be dented or out of aling on the inside of this one at all.
Nand

Post by Nand »

I hate to give you any more suggestions since it went from one poor radio to a dead radio and now a second radio is infected by the first one.

You really are better off having your problem looked at by a professional with the correct test equipment (a minimum of $25,000 worth), a lot of experience and a good spare parts supply.

Nand.
SPVFD47

Post by SPVFD47 »

Where are you located at Nand ? Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.
kato56

Post by kato56 »

I had a similiar problem whereas I could hear my jedi portable using talkaround, but was unable to access any repeaters. I put a watt meter on the antenna jack and saw no rf output. It turned out to be that the exciter was working, but the PA was shot. Got a new RF board and the radio is like new again.
If you had a similar problem with your HT1000, be careful transmitting without an antenna attached, you could be blowing out the PA's due to an extremely high SWR ie. no antenna.
Nand

Post by Nand »

SPVFD47 wrote:Where are you located at Nand ? Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.
Since I am located in Ontario, I can’t do much for you. If you can’t find a decent dealer, your best bet is to use Motorola’s repair depot for slightly more money.

Nand.
SPVFD47

Post by SPVFD47 »

I'd like to find a local hobbist thats willing to help a fellow firefighter out. I'm willing to pay, I just don't want to get ripped off at a local shop around here. If I could find a service manual, that might help me out a bit... I went to school for electricity and electronics for 3 years to become an Electrical Engineer before switching to Civil Engineering, so I have some electronic background. Just never worked with radios. For last 2 years I'd say I've been programming my own radios and friends and people that I work with radios also. I'd like to get into some repair and service... As far as that goes, I've only recased them...
Nand

Post by Nand »

Nobody likes to get ripped off. But consider that a tech cost a company $25.00 an hour for wages plus any benefits and likely another $75.00 an hour for overhead like equipment, inventory, training, building, phone, vehicle, fuel, and support staff, you are not likely getting ripped off for one to two hours of his time provided that the repair is done correctly. I don’t mean to say that there aren’t any hobbyists that can do a very good job as well. But since these radios are used in a life saving service, would you not rather have them done by a professional with the right equipment and experience, or if lacking that, perhaps have Motorola do the work?

Myself, I look for a doctor that has some certificates on the wall and is a member of the Medical Association before I let him touch me.

When I drive over a bridge, I pray that a Civil Engineer and not one of his buddies designed it.

Nand.
SPVFD47

Post by SPVFD47 »

I hear ya, I'm just trying to save a buck or two... Plus the guys that do most of the radio work at my job, I wouldn't trust them with my stuff. They've done some bad installs in some of our vechicles. Now, we just have them sell us and program the units... Some of the stuff we even program ourselves. As far as I go as a Civil Engineer, I mostly build stuff rather then do the design work. If you ask me theres more money in construction here in NJ... Especially Commerical properties. ie. strip malls.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”