ATV Install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BikerScout
Batboard $upporter

ATV Install

Post by BikerScout »

Has anyone done or seen any installs with a ATV? For instance with the local S&R groups. What type of radios would work best?

Bryan
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

portables....
Suddenly You Were Gone
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

VE9MP
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: FPP Railroad XTL9000 Cleancab

Post by VE9MP »

If your bound and determined to actually install a radio, I'd say go for a Spectra Motorcycle radio, the radios drawer is in a weather resistant case and the control head is weather resistant as well. They put out I think 15 watts, which shouldn't be to hard to power unlike if you put in a 30+ watt radio.
-----Nick-----

"I can trip some repeaters in Maine, but I'm not getting any audio into it, is there some type of tone frequency I use? If so do you know what one is for Maine?" - The SMT Machine
BikerScout
Batboard $upporter

Post by BikerScout »

It's not like there is going to be a multi-radio stack with a MDT. :D I have seen some S&R groups with radios on their ATV's. I was just asking for info from someone who seen it done.
Putting a radio on a ATV is no different than putting one on a motorcycle. They are both tools of the trade.
paramedic218

Post by paramedic218 »

the ems service i work for has 3 atvs and they all have mobiles in them. radius i think. all uhf. now for siren and lights. strobes on poles ( dont need alot of lighting) so one or two . or a cheep rotater. and then the siren. yes all no need for one when your in the woods. but what if your in a croud of people or a traffic jam that siren and air horn is nice. i would use a remote mount type siren.
kccjs268

Post by kccjs268 »

Here is an ATV that is used by our sheriff's department. As you can tell there are 2 LEDX up front and 2 LEDX in the rear along with a pole stobe in the rear. A remote siren is also used, main during large events to move through the crowds, not so much for highway useage. The pole strobe is nice since during emergencies out in the middle of nowhere, this way command can keep tabs on where the unit is at. As for radios, the deputy's just use there portables.

As being in a rural area, fire departments are all getting their hands on these rangers

Again there are no radios installed. Alot of the fire departments in the area have different "attachments" for the back end, weather a rescue basket or a small portable pump and booster line fore grass fires.

just my 2 cents for what its worth.
BikerScout
Batboard $upporter

Post by BikerScout »

Paramedic218:
Would you be able to get some pics?

kccjs268:
Those are some nice pics. Cool setup. Never thought about using Rangers.
BPD109
Batboard $upporter

Post by BPD109 »

We put a remote CDM on a John Deere Gator, power turned down to about 30 watts. It works ok, but I think that the motorcycle Spectra would be a much better alternative as it is weatherproofed, and the Spectra's are generally a tough radio all the way around.

We havent had any trouble out of the CDM, in this configuration, however, leaving the radio on for an extended period, even without transmitting plays hell with the puny battery on the gator. Both the RF deck and the control head are mounted in areas that they are not directly exposed to the elements but with Mother Nature, bet on Murphy's Law of Natural Selection getting short with Father Time working against you.

Randy
You can only buy so many bags of lime before people begin asking questions...
akardam

Post by akardam »

We have very similar units to the Polaris Rangers out on the playa (in fact we're trying to replace our old units with some of the Rangers). They all have old mini-edge style strobe bars, and a few of them have a siren/pa. Definitely dig the idea of the LED modules. One of our worker's Rangers has 4 white TIR6 modules on it, and they're very attention getting.
WhelenTech

Post by WhelenTech »

Here is my ATV install:

http://wattco.net/gallery/atv.htm

Lots of pictures.

We do not have radios for the express reason that most ATV batteries cannot handle the transmit draws...

We just carry portables with at least 1 extra battery..
BikerScout
Batboard $upporter

Post by BikerScout »

Well, those have been some great pics and some very useful info.
Thanks everyone who posted.

Bryan
JDAlberta

ATV install

Post by JDAlberta »

I used a Motorola sm120 VHF as well as a sm 120 UHF radio on my ATV. I used a 0 ground antenna on both radios and have a switch box that lets me hear both radios if needed in my helmet. I have a Mic switch box mounted on the bars and mic on the helmet. Everything works great both radios are stacked in the quad box so all you see is the antennas. Strobes are mounted in the headlight holders and the tail lights. I have no pictures as of yet but will be taking some in the near future

John
Live each day as it was your last

Make someone smile everyday.......it feels great

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”