GMRS Antenna: The best Gain?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Stage 2
What radios do you own?: HT1000,MT1000, HT50,MAXTRAC

GMRS Antenna: The best Gain?

Post by Stage 2 »

I am looking to replace my current temporary attic GMRS repeater antenna with something more conventional. While I had already decided on what manufacturer to use based on a previous thread, I was doing price shopping and considering gain. Like most people, I was automatically thinking highest gain is best. However, I came across the following on a website selling the brand I am looking at. I have heard this mentioned, but, before this I had not seen it in print. For the record, I live in a valley with what could be called "average" terrain. Based on this, I am looking for input as it may apply to my situation. I am looking to get the best out of the MCR100 that the antenna will be connected to.
OK folks, here it is as printed. Do you agree, or disagree with this:

Other dealers try to sell me a higher DB gain antenna,
why don't you recommend this?
High gain antennas have one problem.
The higher the gain you go, the more compressed the radiation pattern is towards the horizon.
In a typical radio system you don't want a high gain antenna, you want a lower gain antenna that will fill in the pattern closer to the horizon which is where you are trying to talk.
High gain antennas can cause "multi-path" which is the signal arriving from more than one source at a time,
and this can actually "cancel" the signal out that you're trying to receive.
It also means that you could easily "over-shoot" where you're trying to talk to!
We recommend 0-3 DB gain antennas for all systems, unless you're in the middle of the desert with no obstructions.
Our antennas are rated over a radiator in free space,
which is a more industry accepted method resulting in no "marketing hoopla"
Also another problem found in the industry is the higher the gain antenna the longer it is....
and mechanical integrity becomes an important issue!

Thanks in advance
RAILROADS: AMERICA'S MOST VITAL TOOL FOR ENERGY CONSERVATION.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

While gain is good, on GMRS you also have to contend with max ERP. That is how much power you can legally put out. I like 10db superstationmasters, on medium size buildings, while gain does flatten the signal, much like how you can squash a donut. Unless you are putting it up on a mountain over 10k ft, I wouldnt worry about it.
Will

Post by Will »

Look into the 4.5 db Comtelco antennas, they are the only lower cost real base station antenna having REAL copper elements. The others, Maxrad, Antennex, ect; have just a 18 gauge copper coated steal wire inside the fiberglass or plastic pipe.

Another Comtelco plus due to the large diam. copper elements, is much wider bandwidth. Lisa will even "cut" one for 440 AND 467 in the same antenna!
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

A little along these lines what would y'all consider to be a good gain UHF mobile antenna?

I've been using a 1/4 wave "spike" but would like something with a litte more oomf.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Antenna "theory"...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

There is a small amount of truth in that statment you quoted, but
it's mostly BS. I'm still trying to figure out what they mean by
"Our antennas are rated over an antenna in free space."

Get one of the ARRL antenna books and read up on the subject,
then make your own decision as to what antenna meets your
needs best.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
JohnWayne

Re: Antenna "theory"...

Post by JohnWayne »

Tom in D.C. wrote:it's mostly BS. I'm still trying to figure out what they mean by
"Our antennas are rated over an antenna in free space."
Sounds like they are using dBi. The funny thing is that most "marketing hoopla" involves using dBi instead of dBd.

For those who didn't know, dBi = (dBd + 2.14). It's the gain over a hypothetical isotropic radiator that radiates equally in all directions. Such a beast doesn't exist in the real physical world as we know it, so the more "fair" way to express antenna gain is to compare it to a simple dipole - dBd.

Jeff
Stage 2
What radios do you own?: HT1000,MT1000, HT50,MAXTRAC

Post by Stage 2 »

Thanks to all who responded. I didn't mention what antenna brand on purpose as I figured I would get more diversified responses without bias for or against the antenna manufacturer by doing so. Good feedback folks. Now I can though. Will hit the nail on the head as the Comtelco 4.5 dBd was the target I was considering when I came upon this new info. I am, of course, definitely going with it thanks to all of you. What he mentions about superior design came out in my previous antenna thread which is why I am going with Comtelco. Another plus is the fact that they rate their antennas ( Base units anyways) in dBd, or, true gain, so 4.5 is really 4.5! This antenna, with some nice LMR400 Coax, should work nicely. One more thing, the outfit that had the quote was also selling a Comtelco antenna in a rather nice complete package including mounting brackets, wall brackets, and, a mast. However, you guessed it, they were recommending the 2.5 dBd version based on thier claim.
RAILROADS: AMERICA'S MOST VITAL TOOL FOR ENERGY CONSERVATION.
kb3jkp
Banned

Post by kb3jkp »

why not go with 4 or 6 Yagi's with a voter ?? ;) best of both worlds....

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”