Astro Saber Display

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

swest

Astro Saber Display

Post by swest »

Good morning (or evening if you read this later),
I have recently purchased a few of the ASI on eBay like several others on here. I was interested in doing the conversion. Last night I noticed a astro saber display on eBay right before going to bed. Anyway got my display for $22. But it is missing the flex (sorry if I am calling this out incorrectly). Is the flex availible for these somewhere? I would like to get another 5 so that I can recase them as IIIs, but I dont want to buy them if I cant manage to get the flex. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Second question, I have already boughten two of the new housings from m online. But I am very interested in keeping the original stickers or getting them duplicated. I searched several threads but couldnt find anything on this issue recently. If anyone knows of a place where I could get these made, it would be perfect. Once again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shawn
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Tom in D.C. on the board, has some similary sized stickers with his name and call to identify his radios has his.

Recreating the labels themselves is generally frowned upon, but a lot of people do it using a variety of different ways, including using P-Touch printers.

Sending the radio to the depot is the only way to get official tags put on it, but at the same time, you shouldn't send radios that have been adjusted in the fashion that you describe to the depot.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
Dale Earnhardt

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

swest,

Did you buy that display that was on ebay last night? because if you did that was for Astro Spectra W3 head...
swest

Post by swest »

Thanks Alex, Guess I wont recase them all.

Yes, I did purchase that one. I emailed the seller and asked him to check the part numbers. He came back letting me know he was in error at first and it was for the saber. If it is indeed for the W3 head, then I guess im out $22 until I find and break a W3 sometime down the road haha. I wasnt quite sure which is why I wanted to ask here. For $22 I figured i couldnt go wrong.
bwigg

Post by bwigg »

Bad News, looks like the 8402803X01 flex cable is gone forever. I just tried to order some online and it says item is cancelled.
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

Call Motorola and see, sometimes items that are cancelled on the web site may still be hiding somewhere in stock that a real person on the phone has access to.

I have had some luck doing this for some items marked as cancelled, but not all.

YMMV

DB
datadink

Post by datadink »

Just called Motorola. All they will sell now is the complete lcd display with flex. 8402803x01 is no longer available.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”