Info: Systems Saber special options

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

EMS Geek

Info: Systems Saber special options

Post by EMS Geek »

Hi,

I have a surplus VHF Sytems Saber that appears to indicate special options on the ID label:

H553AASP
H617AGSP
H543AASP

Model: H43YUN5170CN
I assume it is H99QX-053H, not listed on the label and I have not read the radio yet.

Searching the web (Google'd H617AGSP), I found this info on a government bid for Systems Sabers
ADD: SP Hardware Flag Option, H553ABSP
ALT: Band Split 136-162 MHZ, H617AGSP

Has anyone dealt with this before? I think I have seen something similar with WHCA Sabers.

Thanks, Eric
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Have you read the radio yet to determine what the band split really is, according to RSS?

I have not seen or owned any of these 'SP' version Sabers, as they are uncommon, but as you have one, they do exist, albeit in a strange configuration from standard.

Even my RSS does not show those options listed, nor do I have access to what those SP numbers mean when it comes to 'installed' options or features.

SP usually means Special Production, IE...Government orders ...Etc...

Find out what the options allow the radio to perform, what the CORE and COPE versions are as well, I'm certain there are many of us, including myself, would LOVE to find out what your radio is capable of doing.

You'll need Systems Saber RSS, but I would 'hope' not some secret government special RSS NOBODY has, or has access to either.

This is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery!
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

sounds like the SP System Sabers handed out during the 96 Olympics here in the ATL. They were weird "full bandsplit" Sabers....never opened one as I had to turn it in. When was the radio made serial number wise? I bet it's an Olympic radio.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
EMS Geek

Post by EMS Geek »

After reading the radio:
Model: H43TUN5170CN
Type: H99QX104H
Bandsplit: 136.0 - 150.8
Con: 6-0
S/N: 500AVC0252

After playing with it a little:
Label S/N: 500AVQ0269
Band split before getting an Out of Range error: 125.0 - 165.9 had NOAA as my top end frequencies.

More investigating is in order - curious to see how the software sees the radio.

receives ok
transmits like garbage (kept radio tuning values - F5)

Still no further info on special options - found a bunch by reading over bid solicitations but no detailed explanations.

Would be nice to see available options like in the regular saber software.

Ultimate goal is to pull the front panel off of a UHF display model and swap it onto this VHF model.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

yep, sounds like 96 Olympic radio...
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
idotradio
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by idotradio »

just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.......I have 5 of these models that were enabled with the 3 extra special options that were listed above. all of mine are Sys saber model "1"'s but all are listed as 136-150.8 models, but all transmit and recieve well into the 165.000mhz range. I have a 1 or two that I would be willing to loan to experienced programmers to find out more about the "special options" and other programming features.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

If these radios were for the olympics, the options they have may be for 'special' signalling they may have also used...

I've never been to any olympic game, but since it is a huge endeavor to provide security to these venues, it stands to reason the 'enhanced' options may deal with 'covert' signalling of sorts.

Since they are systems models, they could also have been used in a small trunking system environment and these options are set up to provide access to this 'tiny trunked system' without having to worry about accessing 'outside' trunked systems that may have been in the same geographic area.

Drawing straws is not the proper way to become an artist.
borisf

Post by borisf »

Any news on the mystery options?
EMS Geek

Post by EMS Geek »

I have compiled a lengthy list of option for most of the handheld and mobile radios.

The list has B, G, H, Q and W options.

Email me if you want a copy - ericb23@aol.com
Elroy Jetson

Re: Info: Systems Saber special options

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I just picked up a non-working H43YXN7139CN submersible Saber I with the same three SP options in it.

Upon opening the case, the first thing I found was a red decal on the front shield that had been blacked out with a black marker.

Rubbing the mark with my thumb for a minute, I read what the decal says:

"This Device is FASCINATOR Equipped:
Special Shipping and Handling Pocedures
MUST be followed: Call Harry (deleted),
USFASC, (301) (remainder of phone number deleted by me)

However, the unit does not, and did not, when I recieved it,
contain any form of encryption module.

Is it possible that FASCINATOR encryption is one or more of the SP options?

I am quite sure that any such module was removed prior to the
radio's being sent out for surplus.

Someone remind me: Does removal of the encryption module or bypass module
render the radio DEAD, or does it just cause a no audio condition?

Elroy
RKG

Post by RKG »

I have some bandsplit SP Systems Sabers, and they require a special version of the RSS to program.

By the way, I was under the impression that the Atlanta Olympics portables were MTS2000 Model IIs.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Elroy Jetson wrote:I just picked up a non-working H43YXN7139CN submersible Saber I with the same three SP options in it.

Upon opening the case, the first thing I found was a red decal on the front shield that had been blacked out with a black marker.

Rubbing the mark with my thumb for a minute, I read what the decal says:

"This Device is FASCINATOR Equipped:
Special Shipping and Handling Pocedures
MUST be followed: Call Harry (deleted),
USFASC, (301) (remainder of phone number deleted by me)

However, the unit does not, and did not, when I recieved it,
contain any form of encryption module.

Is it possible that FASCINATOR encryption is one or more of the SP options?

I am quite sure that any such module was removed prior to the
radio's being sent out for surplus.

Someone remind me: Does removal of the encryption module or bypass module
render the radio DEAD, or does it just cause a no audio condition?

Elroy
No audio.
Dave
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

That's what I thought....

Thanks.

Elroy
mt1000ff

Post by mt1000ff »

I thought the Olympics were on 800mhz. Rumor was that when the games were over, they sold the used system to Warren County Kentucky for public safety use.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Whatever, I just think it's cool to have a Saber with a Fascinator decal, even if it IS on the INSIDE of the radio.

I think I'll fix this one.

Elroy
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

I had a UHF saber I that I bought off a fellow Batlab member..I opened it up and saw the decal .. I PMed him and asked if he knew about it. He said It didnt have a fascinator module in when he had it. He said it was long gone...

I carefully scraped it off and now the decal is on my toolbox on the bench.
JustinMoon205
What radios do you own?: APX7000, APX7500, GP280

Post by JustinMoon205 »

The 1996 Olympics in ATL used several different things. There were VHF Systems Sabers model II and III that were used mostly by the 3 letter government agencies. There were a number of UHF repeater systems both trunked and non-trunked that were used and they used GP300's and MTS2000 model II's. The core of the system was an 800Mhz Smartnet trunked system that used MTS2000 model I and II radios mostly. I used an 800Mhz model I during my time there. You can identify them if they still have their original cases and decals because there will be a white bar code label on them that says ACOG (Atlanta Committee on the Olympic Games) and there is a nice lil /\/\otorola stylized M symbol that is screen printed on the front of the radio. After the games the system was disassembled and sold for public safety use. A city in the ATL metro area took some of it, a county in KY took some, a county in TN took some and Thomas County Georgia took some....from what I remember. I lived / worked in Thomas County at the time and all the radios, batteries, chargers, speaker mics, cases, etc that were part of the original system had the cool /\/\ screen print on them.
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

Noticed my 440-470 saber ii has 2 SP option . the H553ABSP listed above and H915AWSP. anyone know what the second one is?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”