MOTO Q

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KE7DZZ
Gone...as per his request

MOTO Q

Post by KE7DZZ »

While not a "two way radio" in the conventional sense, it is still a Batwing RF device.

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with the MOTO Q that they would like to share with the group.
I have been a dedicated Treo user since the 300 and I currently have a Treo 600 that is ready for retirement. I was browsing the "smartphones" that Sprint PCS is offering and came upon the MOTO Q.
My only experience with Moto "civilian" gear is the Moto bubble pack frs/gmrs radios which are pure crap, is that the case with the MOTO Q or is it a nice unit like the commercial/public service type gear ( or somewhere in between )?.

I welcome all comments and opinions.
"No One Here Gets Out Alive"
KD8GWD
was fordcobra04

Re: MOTO Q

Post by KD8GWD »

I too am a Treo fanboy... I do have some hands on experience w/ the Q and It wasnt very good...

Laggy menus, ALOT of random reboots, Data loss...

My suggestion: Stick w/ Treo. Much better OS IMO...
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1967190,00.asp gives PC Magazines full review. They liked the Treo 700P more, but at the time the Treo was $200 more. The review is dated 5/24/06.
Dave
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Wife has the last couple of Treo's, and they haven't held up too much...or at least they seem to get the white screen of death often. Her company also has tried the Q's, and haven't had any better luck. They are beta'ing the Blackberry's right now and seem to be holding up well.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
KE7DZZ

Post by KE7DZZ »

Well, after careful consideration and a lot or reading, I went and got the MOTO Q.

So far, I love this thing.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I have the Moto Q and love it. (In fact I am posting from it right now)

Do yourelf a favor though... make sure that it at least has the MOT2 update in it and get an extended battery. Otherwise the Q has been perfect for me... decent battery life, nice features and low profile to stick it in your pocket on the fly.

I have also had minimal lockup issues since the MOT2 upgrade.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Will some of you with Windows Mobile devices please install my Virtual HandHeld/Virtual HT client software? I can email it to you. It will turn your device (Q/Treo/etc.) into a 2 way radio and let you talk to other devices, computers anywhere in the world and I have a SiteCAST interface attached to an MCS and want to talk to all of you from my MTS2000 on SmartNET too. I think this would be great and a nice treat for all of you. Let me know if you want to mess with it.

Steve
KE7DZZ

Post by KE7DZZ »

/\/\y 2 cents wrote:Will some of you with Windows Mobile devices please install my Virtual HandHeld/Virtual HT client software? I can email it to you. It will turn your device (Q/Treo/etc.) into a 2 way radio and let you talk to other devices, computers anywhere in the world and I have a SiteCAST interface attached to an MCS and want to talk to all of you from my MTS2000 on SmartNET too. I think this would be great and a nice treat for all of you. Let me know if you want to mess with it.

Steve

Sure, why not. I'll play with it. 8)
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Cool, Send it to others too. Email me at CriticalRFatBellsouth.net and I 'll send it to you with the server address, password, and how to set your PTT key for any button.

Steve
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Did you ever change your Audio Codecs off GSM? Go to something a little cleaner?

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

GSM is clean when levels are perfect..Not absolute fidelity but pretty close. Much better than say IMBE ;) Try bringing you output levels up coming into/driving the soundcard line in/mic. Too much background/voice mod level is lower than should be will pronounce clicking artifact. Much same problem that everybody talks about on the SCBA / P25 and background. The most clicking is when no audio is present as you can hear packets arriving and GSM frames being exploded/unpacked. If the levels input are (or output driving and input) are strong then the excitation will occur and samples will be created more accurately. I passed DTMF, FleetSync/MSK and MDC1200 and this was the aspect that required the most consideration. It is still GSM. The Tubes I OEM are 723/729 but they are much more complicated to interface/address. I do admit I like .729

Steve

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”