XTS3000 tuner cable?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

oh2lak

XTS3000 tuner cable?

Post by oh2lak »

Hi all.

I have a aftermarket ribless cable to use with my XTS3000, and a cable to use with a RIB. I'm trying to access the tuner feature of the radio but the radio fails to be read/initialized by the tuner application.

I have no doubts there would not be problems tuning the radio with the ribless cable, but what would be the correct pinout or pins needed to be connected of the Rib cable?

Erik
--
Erik Finskas OH2LAK
oh2lak@sral.fi
motorola_otaku

Re: XTS3000 tuner cable?

Post by motorola_otaku »

I suspect something else is wrong. Aside from the lines used to inject TX audio, no additional lines are needed to perform an alignment.

If you have Astro RSS, try that. You can still use RSS to align a radio even after it's been programmed with the latest & greatest CPS package.
oh2glg
What radios do you own?: DP4801 DM4601 SL7550 MTP850S

Post by oh2glg »

oh2lak wrote:Hi all.

I have a aftermarket ribless cable to use with my XTS3000, and a cable to use with a RIB. I'm trying to access the tuner feature of the radio but the radio fails to be read/initialized by the tuner application.

I have no doubts there would not be problems tuning the radio with the ribless cable, but what would be the correct pinout or pins needed to be connected of the Rib cable?
Hello Erik,

On the other time we met I think I saw you were using a laptop that was such new one that it didn't have a "real" serial port with D9 connector any more, so instead you had to use an USB to serial adaptor. Right?

So, only one difference that I can think of between your setup to mine might just be the USB to D9 converter between the ribless cable and computer.

I used the regular "Kavamall" ribless programming cable that was connected to D9 serial port. I was able to read and write softpot adjustments without any problems. Pinout of the programming connection can be seen here (just disregard the KVL wiring part in the drawing, it has no effect to programming or to tuning). There's no other wires needed between a standard RIB and XTS3000 as far as I know. The Kawamall ribless adapter's internal schematic is quite similar compared to original RIB as far as what's needed to operate XTS3000 and Astro Saber.
Jussi Strömberg
Ham call: OH2JS/OH2GLG
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

The Astro Spectra Tuner CPS will only recognize COM1 and COM2. I was using a USB to serial adapter and had to go into my computer settings and tell it that it was COM2 and disable my internal modem. After I did that; it worked like a champ. Since the XTS3K and Astro Spectra CPS are fairly close cousins; you may want to check that. The CPS software goes way past COM1 and COM2, so I don't know whoes bright idea this was...
oh2lak

Post by oh2lak »

My bad.

The USB-RS232 dongle I've used for quite a time decided not to work with this application. It works OK with the CPS, but not with the tuner. Changed the dongle, the tuner works.

Erik
--
Erik Finskas OH2LAK
oh2lak@sral.fi

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”