MTX 8000 Receive Only Program

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rileym
What radios do you own?: XTS3k's

MTX 8000 Receive Only Program

Post by rileym »

Ok, I've read a couple random places that there may be a way to program a MTX8000 for receive only...? Can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks.
I flatulate P25.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: MTX 8000 Receive Only Program

Post by HLA »

just check the box that says recieve only personality or tx inhibit or whatever the exact wording is. or just use a scanner
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

There isn't an RX only box. It isn't an EDACS radio :P

Here's the best way there is to make an MTX8000 never transmit. This means no PTT, no Affiliations, the radio won't respond to affiliation requests, inhibit requests (although it will still die if given a request, it just won't respond).

1) Using MTSX Lab, enable the TX Inhibit option.
2) Using MTSX Lab, re-assign the PTT button function from PTT to Light (or Blank if you wish)
3) Using regular RSS, assign both positions of the concentric switch to TX Inhibit.
4) Using regular RSS, go into service alignment for TX output values and change them all to 0 (zero)
5) When you program a trunking system, be sure to set it to Affiliate on PTT.

That's pretty much it. Doing those 5 steps will ensure that your radio will never ever transmit. This has been verified. TX power is so low after changing the tuning values that a service monitor 2 feet away barely shows anything, and another radio 2 feet away doesn't even get it's squelch broken.

If you wanted to go an extra step (although I don't see what the need would be), you could ground the output pin from the PA, and disconnect the B+ line from it, thus grounding any RF output there is, as well as disabling the PA.

All that said, the best option is to buy a scanner (yes I'm sick of hearing it as well). This work-around doesn't solve all the other issues that go along with using a Motorola radio for RX, it just takes care of the technical ones. I'll let you deal with the legal issues on your own, I'm no lawyer.
rileym

Post by rileym »

Thank you all for your help. I have a couple issues carrying a scanner as a FF/EMT, and am waiting for the county to discuss the ability for departments to program personal radios, which is pending. I'd rather not carry a non-intrinsically safe Radioshack scanner if i dont have to... And would rather have a military spec, rechargeable-designed piece of hardware which will actually hold up to the wear and tear my job entails. If I ever go on the stand I have no problem stating that I consider my life safety (and that of others) first, and refuse to carry a scanner for that reason and others. It'd be interesting to ask a lawyer if he could suggest an intrinsically safe scanner, cause I'm pretty damn sure nobody makes one.... LOL.
I flatulate P25.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

keep in mind that anything you carry that isn't issued or authorized by your agency (IS rated or not) becomes a liability regardless of the hardware. this is if you are concerned about liability. It has been covered many times before, unauthorized programming of trunking radios is a taboo subject, and anyone who is so concerned about legal ramifications should be more concerned about the possible consequences of such unauthorized programming of government radio systems in personal radios than intrinsic safety ratings. I would wait to get your radio programmed properly by your agency. See this thread:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59617
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

^^ what he said.

The question I would have though. If you need to have a scanner/receiver for your job and as you say, the life safety of others would depend on it, I would really hope such a radio would be issued by your department.

Asking you to buy your own, but refusing to program it (maybe) or forcing you to buy a scanner doesn't sound too legit to me.

I know if lots of VFF departments that let their members purchase their own radio, but there are only certain types they can buy and they usually have to buy them through the Fire Department who then makes sure they are programmed and aligned properly, so as not to become a liability.

Personally speaking, I'd hold off until you can either get it programmed by the agency, or get one issued to you.
rileym

Post by rileym »

Yea,

I've been debating holding off. I'm a very active member on a department at home as an EMT-basic, and the radios we have are usually given to paramedics first... It sucks coming down for a call after receiving a page to find out it was canceled, and I just didn't know because I don't have a radio... Our county shop right now charges in excess of $1k for the MTS2000's we get... Its understandable that they don't have the budget to get one for all members. I'm one of only 5-7 non-full time members who actually live in our response area.

When I'm at school (I'm a college student), I have a HT1000 which is a personal radio, plus a dept HT750, and a new dept ICOM F70DS P25 Handheld.

I have a county unit number from both agencies.
I flatulate P25.

Return to “Radio Programming”