Minitor IV question

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

northstarfire0693
What radios do you own?: MTS 2000, HT 1250, MV

Minitor IV question

Post by northstarfire0693 »

I am looking into buying a m IV VHF. I did a little research and I am a bit confused.????? I have read good and bad about the pager. Can anyone give me some pros and cons on it and let me know what trouble they have and if I should buy it or not. Thanks for the help
BIGSTICK
New User

Re: Minitor IV question

Post by BIGSTICK »

I haven't found anything bad about them ... we ahve sold 1500 vhf M5 about 500 Uhf M5 and about 2500 M5 with stored voice,the only problem we have had is they don't come back for repair. the battery life is much better . much more rugged and compared to M3-M4 this pager is lite years ahead with reliability,battery life and volume...Only complaint I have heard is they are a bit thicker than the M4....... So yes by all means feel confident with the Minitor V with or w/o stored voice...
northstarfire0693

Bigstick

Thanks for the info on the MV I was looking for feedback on the MIV, but thank you for your time.
theshadowman
New User

Post by theshadowman »

I have quite a bit of experience with the Minitor IV. For the most part it works acceptably well. However there are some significant wide-spread issues. The first is the tone decoding. Because of the location of the decoding IC on the decoder PC Board inside the pager, it is susceptible to flexing from the belt clip on the back of the pager. Over time the board flexes enough to break solder connections and the pager will no longer decode tones. Resoldering is the quick fix most of the time, occasionally though it requires a new decoder board. The second issue which is not nearly as severe is with the knobs. They tend to loosen and either come off or just become sloppy. It's not a huge deal and nothing to worry about per se but it is just something I have noticed. IF programmed correctly, the IV with SV can work very well...until the decoder fails. If you are buying used, be wary of the decoder issue. Like I said, most of the time it's a simple fix but it still makes for a pain in the rear. To avoid it completely, I have found nylon pager "holsters" in place of the belt clip work well over time to reduce or eliminate flexing of the plastic case.

I do like the V better but it had its own issue too with the amplified chargers not charging batteries. I would recommend a V over a IV but that's just me.
northstarfire0693

Thanks for the info
northstarfire0693

Thanks for the imput. I just got my V last week...So far I have been real happy with it.....

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”