Maxtrac woes

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

High_order1

Maxtrac woes

Post by High_order1 »

I really did search, and I tried the things I saw, but nothing seems to help. I got a new computer to replace the old one that finally gave up the ghost. It is a 386SL/25, running on slow speed (so says the BIOS). I have a Sandy Ganz 2.0 RIB, and built my own cables for the most part.

This setup programs Sabers, HT1000's, MT1000's, MTS2000's.... (I am forgetting some, sorry) with no issue.

It does NOT like this MaxTrac, at all. It's a UHF with the channel display and scan (I forget which flavor that is). I have several versions of programming s/w, including 7.02 and D04somethingsomething.

I keep getting serial bus errors. Mostly no ack.

I have checked continuity on my cable, which has worked before, and swapped it for a LAN cable. No go.
I have used moslo from 80 all the way down to 10, no go.
I have adjusted the timing variable in the D version from 910 to 1500, no go.
I put a new battery on the RIB, and used a wall wart. no go
I checked +V to the radio. Around 11V. Lights up "1" and "mon" immediately when turned on.

I ask it to com test, it either searchessearchersearches then no ack, or occasionally it will say 'attempting serial bus recovery'. Then flunk out.

I tested it with a HT1000 today, COM1, read/write like a charm.

I start with the radio off, then on, then plug in, then turn RIB on, then start software.

What am I missing? (I have programmed this exact radio successfully on my earlier computer, and on the shops' setup.)

Thanks,

-Shawn
Jim202

Re: Maxtrac woes

Post by Jim202 »

This may sound too simple, but have you checked the port the program is trying to use? Many times I
find that it is looking for the wrong com port and needs to be pointed to the one your using.

By changing computers, you should have done a new install. If by some chance you just copied the
files from one computer to the newer one, is it looking for the correct com port.

Jim

High_order1 wrote:I really did search, and I tried the things I saw, but nothing seems to help. I got a new computer to replace the old one that finally gave up the ghost. It is a 386SL/25, running on slow speed (so says the BIOS). I have a Sandy Ganz 2.0 RIB, and built my own cables for the most part.

This setup programs Sabers, HT1000's, MT1000's, MTS2000's.... (I am forgetting some, sorry) with no issue.

It does NOT like this MaxTrac, at all. It's a UHF with the channel display and scan (I forget which flavor that is). I have several versions of programming s/w, including 7.02 and D04somethingsomething.

I keep getting serial bus errors. Mostly no ack.

I have checked continuity on my cable, which has worked before, and swapped it for a LAN cable. No go.
I have used moslo from 80 all the way down to 10, no go.
I have adjusted the timing variable in the D version from 910 to 1500, no go.
I put a new battery on the RIB, and used a wall wart. no go
I checked +V to the radio. Around 11V. Lights up "1" and "mon" immediately when turned on.

I ask it to com test, it either searchessearchersearches then no ack, or occasionally it will say 'attempting serial bus recovery'. Then flunk out.

I tested it with a HT1000 today, COM1, read/write like a charm.

I start with the radio off, then on, then plug in, then turn RIB on, then start software.

What am I missing? (I have programmed this exact radio successfully on my earlier computer, and on the shops' setup.)

Thanks,

-Shawn
High_order1

Post by High_order1 »

Actually, I wanted to just burn a disk image, because I use Direct Access for menu support, but I couldn't. It is failing the com test on all of the maxtrac s/w I have. They allege to be COM 1, which is the setting that works in the other s/w.

I faintly recall a way to slow the UART down in either DOS or win 3.1 I am trying to research now. Maybe that will help.

Thanks for the reply,

-Shawn
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

Not sure what you mean by burning a disc image with Dircect Access ???
I thought you wanted to program a Maxtrac?
You want to boot straight into DOS. Make a plain dos boot floppy with no autoexec or config.sys file and try that. What ver DOS are you using (type ver and hit enter).

Maxtrac 7.02 will run on a fast machine. And any of them should run on a 386/25, so I don't think that is your problem.

You mentioned a LAN cable, where are you using that?
The cable from RIB to radio should be like this;
http://www.batlabs.com/images/maxpin.gif
Also some cables have pin7 of the RJ45 going to pin 24 of the db25 (instead of pin 15).
You might look at the schematic of your RIB to see where those 2 pins go.

If the serial port on your computer is a DB25, try an adapter down to db9, then back to db25 (if that is what the RIB needs). There are some db25 to db25 serial cables that are different (I forget which pins).
High_order1

Post by High_order1 »

Hey,

sorry for the confusion.

Talking about the image thing, I was referring to a way where I could basically copy the hard drive on the dead computer to the new one (I didn't do it). DA is simply a DOS program that gives me a list of programs; I select a letter and poof I'm there. No changing dir's, or remembering which .bat file to invoke to make what program run. Really slick.

The computer runs DOS, I think 6.22. Win 3.1 is present, but I don't use it for any of the programs listed.

The aftermarket rib I built has a RJ45 jack in it, and you can switch bias on and off. Really handy for programming car radios.

The cable with the regular end on it (one side 45, one side D) has worked in the past, so I checked to see if the wires were broke. I will check on what pins go to what, I think its' 2 and 15, and a jumper that takes BIAS and ties it to something.

I'll definately check that. If the cables are ok, then what?

Thanks!!

-Shawn
High_order1

Post by High_order1 »

It was the aftermarket rib. Everything else swapped out ok. Go figure.....

-Shawn

Return to “Radio Programming”