Astro25 Mobile and Portable

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

lava96
New User

Astro25 Mobile and Portable

Post by lava96 »

I am brand new to this forum so please be easy on me.
I have Astro25 mobile and portable (2 versions each- 4.0 and 10.0)
I have installed them both (actually all 4 if you count both versions and for both radio types)
Every time I install them I get 2 errors no matter which version I use (4.0 and 10.0)
On the portable software I instantly get an error installing that is CPS records- something about a missing dll but it doesn't tell me which one.
On the mobile I can get it installed but at the end when the installer is trying to close I get an error about 2 dll's (and it tells me the names but I cannot locate them right now)

Has anyone else had this problem?
I am installing on a pc running Windows98 2nd edition.
Please help.
Also, do you know if the cables for the XTS5000 portable and the Astro Spectra Mobile MUST be ribless cables for the astro25 software? I am going to buy a ribless cable for my XTS5000 but I only have a cable that uses the RIB for the Astro Spectra.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Re: Astro25 Mobile and Portable

Post by RESCUE161 »

I've never seen a missing dll file using a legit CPS disk. That usually happens when someone copies the CPS from a computer that has CPS on it to use on another computer. If this is not the case, then a call to Motorola would be in order to get your problem fixed.

Astro25 line of radios use a ribless cable, i.e., no RIB at all.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

version 10 is a current version but 4 is ancient and since theese two share files both versions should be the same. i'll 2nd the vote for the missing dll files, the only time i've ever seen that happen is with a not so legal version.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I didn't think the Astro25 software worked on Windows 98. I thought it needed 2000 or greater.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
akardam

Post by akardam »

Code: Select all

===============================================
ASTRO 25 Portable CPS R10.01.00
===============================================

*snip*

System Requirements:
====================
Operating Systems:   Windows 98 Second Edition, 
                     Windows NT 4.0 (SP 6a or higher)
                     Windows 2000
                     Windows XP Home Edition (See Note)
                     Windows XP Professional (See Note)
                     Note: XP upgrade from other operating systems 
                     is not supported if the CPS was previously installed
                     on the old operating system. 
	       Windows ME and Windows 98 First Edition are no longer supported.
  	       You may choose to proceed with the installation, but some 
                     features might not be functioning properly. Upgrading the 
	       a supported operating system is highly recommended.

NOTE:** VISTA is NOT a supported operating system. 
	    	     Attempting to upgrade any operating system to VISTA once the 
                     CPS has been installed and executed, will NOT allow the 
		     upgrade to VISTA !
So yes, in theory it should work on Win98SE.

I'm confused as to why you're installing R04 and then R10. Why don't you clean everything off and then install R10 only?

Astro25 radio cables are not "ribless" per se because they do not use RIB circuitry to begin with. You will need cables specifically made to work with the Astro25 portables and mobiles you intend to program.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

lava96 wrote:I am brand new to this forum so please be easy on me.
Also, do you know if the cables for the XTS5000 portable and the Astro Spectra Mobile MUST be ribless cables for the astro25 software? I am going to buy a ribless cable for my XTS5000 but I only have a cable that uses the RIB for the Astro Spectra.
The astro spectra uses its own cps, not Astro 25 cps. There is no ribless cable for the astro spectra that I know of.

Jason
lava96
New User

Post by lava96 »

I have a legit cd with the software on it. I installed Version 10 and then noticed the problem with the missing DLL files. I wasn't sure if they were files that should have installed with the program or files that should have already been there from Win98. I am starting to think they might belong to Windows. As far as Version 4.0, I tried to remove 10 and install 4.0 to see if maybe the DLL files were there. That too did not work because I had the exact same missing DLL files with both versions. I have removed (uninstalled) both versions (and both mobile and portable) multiple times and tried to reinstall without any success.

As far as the person who said Astro25 CPS is not for an Astro Spectra mobile: Could you elaborate? I have 24 vehicles that have old VHF Spectra radios and I programm them with RSS DOS software for the Spectra's. I was told that the Trunking Astro Spectra uses the Astro25 mobile CPS. Is that incorrect? What CPS is for the Astro Spectra mobile then?

And is my cable I use with my RIB useless then? DO I have to have a RIB'less cable now?
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Astro Spectras use Astro CPS. Astro25 CPS is for the XTL line of mobiles and will not program the Astro Spectra.

Try installing your Win 98 disk and searching for that missing dll file. Maybe that will help.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

Found the same error in the package
Just upgraded to Ver 10 mobil and portable (XTS5000 XTL5000) and found that it came up with the missing DLL
I think i ignored it and seems to be going ok,

AB
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

The missing dll's should be in the support folder included on the installation disc.

After getting the software installed and re-booting the computer, open up the install shield program like you're going to install the CPS again and select "repair" from the menu and continue.

I had this same issue with MTS2000 CPS & Astro25 CPS. I'm running these programs in Windows XP Home Edition and got the DLLs loaded on both after the "repair" proceedure.
Terry
lava96
New User

Post by lava96 »

I'm still thoroughly confused here.

I have an XTS5000 that I need programmed. I should be able to use Astro25 Portable....right?

Also I have a fleet full of Astro Spectra mobiles that need to be programmed. I have tried to use the old DOS Spectra software and it does not work with the Astro Spectra (trunked) mobiles. I was told that the Asto25 mobile software would work on the Astro Spectra mobiles. Is this correct?

Can anyone please tell me what I need for both my XTS5000 and my Astro Spectra Mobiles?

A part number would be helpful
txshooter

Post by txshooter »

It's pretty easy and it has been explained numerous times here on the board.

Astro CPS has two versions...Mobile and portable. You need the Mobile version to program Astro Spectra radios. The Spectra RSS you have will not work for this. The portable verion of Astro CPS programs both Astro Sabers and XTS3000's.

Astro25 CPS has both a portable and mobile version as well. For The XTS5000 you need Astro25 CPS. This will also work with XTS2500's among others. The Mobile Astro25 CPS is for XTL mobiles.

I don't happen to have the part numbers handy and I am too lazy to search. The part numbers are here on the board. All of the information I have just given is on the board and can be found using the search feature.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Astro CPS for Astro Spectra: RVN4183, current version is 5.02.01
Astro CPS for Astro Saber/XTS3000: RVN4182, current version also is 5.02.01
Astro 25 for XTS2500/5000 and Astro Spectra Plus is RVN4186, current version is 11.xx
Astro Spectra Plus CPS by itself, RVN4185

Ribless cables are the only ones that work on your XTS5000. The standard Jedi/XTS3000 cable will NOT work.
Windows 98SE is ancient and buggy to begin with, I am amazed Motorola CPS is supported on this decade old O/S.
I have never had any issues with any Astro or MTS2000 CPS on a modern P4 2GHz machine running XP SP 2, 512MB of RAM.
I hear that lame Beyonce "direct TV" ad looping "upgrade upgrade"...
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.

Return to “Radio Programming”