Astro25 FPP & Signaling Systems in CPS R10+

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Astro25 FPP & Signaling Systems in CPS R10+

Post by Pj »

So, I have a 5K, with the basic FPP flash (1Axxx).

What I have noticed in my last major codeplug change, is that post PTT MDC is NOT available with the first 240 channels (CPS gives an error code and flags the field). Is this a known issue, or something new? I could have sworn that I previously had post ptt ID in the last codeplug (will have to check). Any channel above 240 will take, just pre-ptt from ch 1-240.

HOST: 10.00.01
CPS: 10.01.00
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Pj

Re: MDC system above 1 not availabe with the FPP flash?

Post by Pj »

Update to the last post...

Its not the post PTT, but MDC system. I have two MDC systems defined...one Pre, one post. Under the conventional tabs, and you select system 2 (or any other system) between 1-240, CPS will show a box of "The Value will reset to 1 as any value except 1 is invaild"
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Did this issue just come about after a bump up to R10 firm by any chance?

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Honestly, I am not sure. I need to find a pre 10 CPS and pre 10 codeplug to try it out. After that, I wouldn't be sure if its the CPS doing it, or the firmware with CPS, as both variables may come into play.

I am pretty sure, that at least pre-CPS10, it was a valid option.

In fact, I am 99% sure that it worked (otherwise, I wouldn't have had both systems in there). I bet its the firmware revision in conjunction with CPS, as I used CPS 10 with HOST 9.x and CPS never complained.
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

Yeah I would say either try writing a CPS 9 plug to it, or get the firmware bumped back down to R09.xx.xx, and see if the prob goes away...

-Marc

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

Hightower

Post by Hightower »

PJ, it's got to be Host 10 or DPS 10 - not sure which tho.... I have 5 different MDC systems all assigned to the first 240 channels. No problems what-so-ever like your describing.

Running Host 9 dot something and CPS 9 dot something on two 5K's VHF and UHF and i've never had any problems with MDC systems.
libuff

Post by libuff »

i had the same prob on my fw9 cps10 xts2500. same issues, Astro 1, MDC 1, etc... but once you program any channels OVER your 240 FPP channels, they can be ANYTHING, MDC 15, ASTRO 7, if you want :)
Pj

Post by Pj »

I am leaning towards a CPS issue. I bet we will see an updated .000002 version coming along soon.
WCHija
What radios do you own?: XPR 7550 & XPR 5550

Post by WCHija »

I have the same issue, except that I can only use MDC 2, anything other than 2 is rejected.
Semper Fidelis

Some Cops are Perfect, the rest ride in patrol cars!
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

QCII and Fed FPP - Problems?

Post by com501 »

Just got off the phone with Ma M. We have a ton of FPP enabled Fed radios here to program. They are Q52 & Q53, as they should be. Customer wants multiple QCII pairs for different channels (of course). Problem.

ALL FPP enabled radios that have the Federal FPP function are ONLY capable of ONE QCII system.

Normal FCC FPP radios can have as many QCII systems (and consequently, as many tone pairs) as the software will allow.

This is a firmware feature set, and not a glitch. No one (when developing the Fed FPP feature set) thought to ask for more than one set of QCII tones. I will be bringing this up to the marketing and engineering types in Las Vegas next week, and see if we can get that fixed in future firmware releases.

Grrr...
akardam

Re: QCII and Fed FPP - Problems?

Post by akardam »

One QCII, One MDC, One Astro... the list goes on.
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

This has been an issue with CPS R10 and above with a Q52/Q53 combo... You can create as many QC systems as you want, but the first 16 or 32 (give or take) conv personalities get slaved to system 1, and it won't let you assign any of the other system numbers.. This goes for all signalling types..

If it's not one thing, it's another... Maybe it will be fixed in firmware release R42.01.02..

-Marc
Last edited by Mfire39 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Are you sure it's Firmware and not just a CPS restriction?

EDIT: After thinking: It has to be CPS. Otherwise there would be different FW for FPP vs Non-FPP. That is not the case. FW is the same regardless of flash or features.

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
akardam

Re: Astro25 FPP & Signaling Systems in CPS R10+

Post by akardam »

I've combined the topics "MDC system above 1 not availabe with the FPP flash?" and "QCII and Fed FPP - Problems?" for further discussion.

It appears with a proper Q53 based codeplug, CPS 10 or higher will predefine at least two signaling systems for each of MDC, QCII, and DTMF, and will not allow you do delete these. You may add additional systems.

It would appear that the 1st system is reserved for FPP channels, and the 2nd and higher systems are reserved for non-fpp channels. Testing in both CPS 10 and CPS 11 show that if you add a personality above 240, you can use the 2nd or higher system.

I concur with TPG in that this appears to be a CPS limitation - I've read a Host R09 Q53/Q52 radio (with a 240 locked codeplug) with both CPS R09, R10 and R11 - CPS R09 allows free assignment of MDC systems, CPS R10 and R11 do not.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

I have a similar problem on a Q split 5k of mine.

Host/DSP9.x, CPS 9 being used. Also basic flash (1axxx)

I can only create 1 astro system. Also, under radio-wide info, it says 850 personalities, but I can only make 240? (and I can't delete from that)

What would be the solution?
akardam

Post by akardam »

Post the full flashcode and exact Host/DSP.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

This particular radio is:

Host R09.00.05
DSP R09.00.02

Secure rev. R05.00.13 (XL/OFB)

5A0001-000102-4

This is using CPS 9, it's never touched 10.
libuff

Post by libuff »

had a 2500 with FPP, when i upgraded from CPS 9 to CPS 10, i had the same problem... the CPS10+ will NOT allow you to assign any systems to FPP channels other than 1, so MDC1, DTMF1, ASTRO1, etc...

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”