1225 V4.0 can't read archive

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KI4LTXEL96
New User

1225 V4.0 can't read archive

Post by KI4LTXEL96 »

I have a problem with my 1225 RSS Version 4.0 reading archive files. After a disk problem, I reinstalled 4.0. At first, everything seemed to be fine. I could read radios, write radios, etc. However, when I go to "File|Read Archive" and attempt to read a file, I get the error message "Not a Valid Archive File". This occurs for all codeplug files. Even if I read a radio, save the file (resulting in no error messages), when I go to read it back I get the same error message. So far I have tried deleting and reinstalling Version 4.

Interestingly enough, if I go back to my Win95 computer and open any of these codeplugs with version 2.0, it reads the file just fine!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

John
John
AA4TX
Will

Re: 1225 V4.0 can't read archive

Post by Will »

John,

I have had this on some programming packages on my XP pro computer. 1225 Ver 4 is supposed to run on XP tho...
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

my guess would be the ntfs file system on xp. i'll bet if you put that v4 on a 98 or me machine with a fat32 it will read the archives
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
KI4LTXEL96
New User

Post by KI4LTXEL96 »

Thanks for the comments, but it worked for many months on the same XP machine. Version 4.0 was written specifically for XP. My guess is that there is something not quite right in the registry, but I do not have an export of the hive to compare it to.

John
John
AA4TX
N0SIH
New User
What radios do you own?: Too many to list in this box

Post by N0SIH »

Just a thought-I had a problem with some M1225's once and the deal was I had programmed with newer ver. RSS and tried to read later with earlier ver. Once the newer ver. has written to radio older version will no longer work. Don't know if that helps or is your situation but something to think about.73 de Jeff/N0SIH
2-Moxy, 2 Maxar-80, 2 HT-50, 2 Maxtrac VHF, 3 SP-50, 2 P110, 1 GM-300,1 M-1225,
12 M-100, 10 MTX-HT,1 STX-HT, 1 Mostar, 1 Flexar repeater on UHF ham, 1 GR-300 UHF on ham, 1 GR-500 on VHF, 6 P-200 HT. Oh and a couple of crates of Micor junk too.
KI4LTXEL96
New User

Post by KI4LTXEL96 »

It is very possible that an install from another RSS caused this, since I reinstalled those that I use regularly. But there is only one 1225 installed on this XP Pro machine, and that is V4.0. What is interesting to note is that I can read the files ok with V2.0 on another machine (95). So my guess is that what ever setup (file, .ini file, registry entry) that allows the RSS to determine that it is a valid file is not correct (sort of what the .mdf file did in the earlier versions). If I had anouther XP Pro machine, I would install it there and see if I could tell what differences there are. But I do not have one readily available.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts.

John
John
AA4TX
KI4LTXEL96
New User

Post by KI4LTXEL96 »

The problem is solved. When I reinstalled the program, I installed it in c:\Program Files\MRSS\1225. It needs to be in C:\MRSS\1225. Apparently, there is no flexibility with location.

Thanks for all who offered comments.

John
John
AA4TX
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

It sounds like something got pretty well corrupted on your drive and / or registry

I have the CPS installed in D:\Program Files\Motorola\1225 Series RSS and it runs like a champ. I can also routinely pull archives from project folders all over the place, so I don't think that the CPS is that inflexible.

At any rate, glad to hear that you got it working one way or the other.
Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.
High_order1

Post by High_order1 »

Reading this thread, a thought occurs:

If he is telling the rss to save to a specific location, say c:/mrss/archives, and the program hasn't been changed to reflect pulling information from there, it might be trying to search inside its' own archive and coming up empty, saying, no, that isn't a valid file (because I can't find it).

When I set these things up, often I put all the archives from all the platforms into a common folder, same same keys. Maybe this isn't a best practice, I never thought about it until now....

-Shawn

Return to “Radio Programming”