XTL5000 dual band

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

XTL5000 dual band

Post by fire_master_21 »

I am in the process of outfitting a new command truck at work. I have limited space to deal with. I am wanting to run a mid power vhf and uhf decks. I want to put both into a single head. This will be my first experience with the XTL radios. What kind of head option do I have for this set up?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: XTL5000 dual band

Post by n7maq »

From what I can tell is the only option is going with the W3 HHCH. The radios need to be flashed for it. I have a PDF file with more info if you would like it.

I hope I do get corrected, I would love to run a dual set up with an O3, or O5 head.

The Kenwood TK5710/5810 will run in a dual band setup.

Jim
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

Thanks Jim,

thats what I thought too. I am looking at the Kenwood as well. I will pm you my email for the pdf tho.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

O3 will do dual radio
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

escomm wrote:O3 will do dual radio
Really, lets hear some details, is that something new in CPS 12?

Jason
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Well that's what a product planner told me, was she confused?
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

I've inquired about the dual radio setup for quite a while, but gave up about a year ago. My CSR kept telling me that the only customers, so far, were military and three letter agencies. I could buy one, but I could expect to pay between 14K and 21K for it. He's an old guy without much ambition, so I gave up. I've spoken to the folks in Schaumburg, and got pretty much the same old BS. "If you want one; you have to order it from your CSR, and you can't retrofit one in the field. It HAS to be ordered as a dual band, O3 radio, and a regular one can't be converted or flashed." Bla, bla, bla... Sounds like the same line of BS as the Astro Spectra - not being able to change the control heads, etc. I'm fairly certain that it's one of those deals like the Astro Spectra, where they just don't want to do it, unless you give them your first born and a pint of virgin blood. I'm sure, in time; someone will get their hot little hands on one and figure it out. I'm dying to have a V/U version, but even at gray market prices; I'll have to see my pimp first. I can't wait until someone cracks this one!

Does anybody remember the crack head that posted a long time ago saying that he had just gotten a tri-band one? Ah; the memories...

Jim
n7maq

Post by n7maq »

4n6inv wrote: Does anybody remember the crack head that posted a long time ago saying that he had just gotten a tri-band one? Ah; the memories...

Jim
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62625
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Well I called my girl in Plantation and she says it's legit, O3 can support at least two heads, and probably more. So yes the O3 does dual radio.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

escomm wrote:Well I called my girl in Plantation and she says it's legit, O3 can support at least two heads, and probably more
It should do dual heads - I don't think you can do quad heads like an O5 since there's no more than 2 GCAI ports on the front of the radio....
So yes the O3 does dual radio.
I don't see how dual heads and dual radio are the same thing...

In theory -- would all you need in radio is the multi radio, a gcai cable between the mobiles and a O3?

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Multi radio and the y-cable. Maybe even daisy chain them. O3 does it all.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

You may want to call again and ask: Will it do mutli radio? (not multi head.) If they say yes, ask for the part number for the SP software that will allow you to program it! Normal CPS will not allow a multi radio set-up with any other head BUT W3. As soon as you select another head besides W3, the multi-radio options are greyed out.

Although I suspect O3 CAN be multi radio, it's most likely an SP requiring some type of interface box like an SIU (.... for now.)

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
NickH

Post by NickH »

We have a local PD around here that runs XTL5K dual radio mobiles (V/U), I just ordered them another one and it was configured with a W3 head, the O3 I was told is still not able to do dual radio. When I asked when/if it would be available, I could see the shoulder shrug over the phone. As far as pricing for the Dual radio W3, it's around 10k.

-Nick
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

This is my current research project. Looking at some of the VSP contracts, and speaking with someone that is familar with the new VSP system, I believe they are running some dual radio O5's at this point. But, before anything goes too far, I still need to clarify on exactly what they have going on. They are installing an ASTRO25 VHF IV&D system with 700/800 here and there (which most is in DVRS systems and the such IIRC, but will have a mobile 800 TRS, and some tunnel TRS's).

I spoke with a local MSS the other day, and they also have heard of the O5's going to support the multi-radio option soon, as they have a PD wanting several V/U XTL's. He heard that this may be one of the next couple of enhancements to be released in 13 and/or 14.

My older PD codeplugs (W3/W5) also have anything to do with multiradio greyed out, however with the XTL's, it is also a flash option (G74?). Changing control heads on my W3/W5/O3-O5 radios still leave the boxes unavailable. Its going to be a flash upgrade and firmware upgrade to get the feature to work (speculation, but that should be it). Originally, Motorola stated that the multiradio option was a factory option only, and had to be ordered at time of the radio order...ie-no field upgrades, period. I am sure that has changed, but I have not looked into it.

Reading into some of the Moto pdf files and CPS fields, it appears that its already planned as it alludes to full TX/RX ability on the O5's, vs the Astro Spectra W7/W9 which makes radio #2 RX only.

I'll make some calls tomorrow as time permits as I will be on the road still for the next two days in DC.

CPS12 says:
Multi Radio System
(Radio Wide, Advanced II)

Enables the ability to define the Multi-Radio System Type field. Multi Radio Systems offer the ability to have more than one radio ("known as the brick") attached to the same control head. This field with its sister fields (mentioned below) must be defined for at least one radio within the multiple radio system. This feature applies on a radio wide basis.

When this field is enabled:

The Multi Radio System Type field must be set to "Dual Radio", and

The Radio ID Alias field must be defined.

The Change Control Head, Control Head Type feature is not applicable. These two features are mutually exclusive.

When the radio is model/option capable, and when the control head type is a W3.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
n7maq

Post by n7maq »

OK, I have a correction to make on what I said. The Kenwood TK5710, and 5810 CAN NOT be configured for a dual band set up. I assumed they could just because the TK-x90's can. So I'm hanging my head.... :oops:

Jim
agtkgv

Post by agtkgv »

I do recall seeing a W3 xtl dual band config on ebay a while back, went for a pretty penny like 7 or 8K, U did not remember anything special about the flash, the seller said it was the cable and CPS that made it dual band. I would be very interested in dual banding the 2 radios in the wife's car to a single head.
d119

Post by d119 »

It's more likely that "This isn't cost effective to fix considering how few people are likely to use it - tell the customers to deal with it as-is." is what was said back East when this issue was brought up to the engineers.
rfbu
New User

Post by rfbu »

the new P25 radios(APX7000 and APX7500) will support multiband
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Yup...annoucended and discussed on the board some time ago :)

Welcome to the board though!
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

It's going to be quite a while before we see any of the 7000's series on the "grey market", and with VHF/800 seeming to be the only combination that they are planning on releasing any time soon; it would be sort of useless to me out here in the middle of nowhere... VHF/UHF would make a lot more sense, as a "first release" model; but I'm not the Pope of Motorola.

So; that being rambled about; it sure would be nice to be able to link two XTL drawers - of whatever flavor you wish, to one control head without costing you MORE than buying two completely new, legit radios from Motorola! Just a dream on my part. Although; I realize that most anything you want Motorola to be able to produce is nothing but a dream!

Jim

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”