XTS2500 Display "Jumps"

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wolfofoblivion

XTS2500 Display "Jumps"

Post by wolfofoblivion »

Hey all,
I just bought a used XTS2500 and noticed that the icons on the display jump around when I release the PTT. This does not occur all the time and appears to be purely random as to when it does occur. I'm wondering if this is indicative of a major problem that needs immediate attention, or if its just a minor quirk that can be ignored. Thanks for any help!

Specs on the radio:
XTS2500i
H46KDH9PW7BN
Host: R12.00.00
DSP: R12.00.00
120001-000100-4
it is a "panter" unit from ebay.
d119

Re: XTS2500 Display "Jumps"

Post by d119 »

I seem to recall there were display issues with these portables, and that there are different versions of the display depending on what firmware you have, and what band the radio is.

Considering the history on these "panter88" radios, you might have a mismatched display, OLD firmware, beta firmware, or who knows.

This is just my $0.02, hopefully someone with more experience on these "panter88" radios will chime in.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Are you able to open up the radio?

If so, look for the C0x number on the display. You'll see either C01, C02, etc...
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

The panter radios are from a time when motorola had a problem with cold solder joints on the keypad board causing odd display problems, ie shifting, inverting and or washing out. One of the two radio's I bought from him had this. There was a motorola fsb out on this, but your radio would not be covered due to its origin. There are also certain part number displays for different band radios, if you have the wrong one for your band that may cause issues while tx'ing which sounds like what you described.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

It should be a CO4 display. That number should be on the flex.

Jim
wolfofoblivion

Post by wolfofoblivion »

Ok, thanks for the info. Is this a major problem that needs to be addressed or can it be treated as a minor quirk? I certanly dont want to cause any prolonged damage to the radio or display. The jumping only appears to affect the clock, smart battery gauge, and direct symbols and it only happens for a split second after the radio de-keys. They just seem to jump to the right and then back to their correct spots.
wolfofoblivion

Post by wolfofoblivion »

n7maq wrote:It should be a CO4 display. That number should be on the flex.

Jim
Thanks, Ill have to order that special opener tool before I can pull it apart to confirm if that's whats in there.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

wolfofoblivion wrote:
n7maq wrote:It should be a CO4 display. That number should be on the flex.

Jim
Thanks, Ill have to order that special opener tool before I can pull it apart to confirm if that's whats in there.
Just don't go on ebay and pay $$$ for one, they are $3.89 from Motorola. I see someone selling the XTS3000/5000 tool for over $20.00!!! What a RIP OFF, they are only $4.20 from Moto.

The P/N for the XTS2500 is 6685666D01 if you need it.

Jim
wolfofoblivion

Post by wolfofoblivion »

Thanks for the P/N, I was trying to find it on MOL but kept coming up with the 6685833D01 one, which is for the XTS3k/5k. I'm showing the one you posted as $3.89. It seems kind of silly to order just one tiny little tool, shipping costs more than the part!
wolfofoblivion

Post by wolfofoblivion »

bringing this thread back from the dead with an update which has been a long time coming.

I finally got some time this evening to sit down and open up the radio (after I figured out how to use the fancy chassis opener tool). As per the groups instructions I checked the flex on the display and it shows C01. I also noticed a small tear in the flex at the top of the case that connects to the mic.

Does the entire case assembly need to be replaced? If so what are the proper part numbers, or is there a part number for the entire case assembly?

Pictures to follow.

[edit]: The tear doesn't seem to affect anything operationally. Mic still works fine as does the accessory connector. Thumbnails are clickable:

ImageImage

ImageImage

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”