Vehicle Lighting Systems

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Vehicle Lighting Systems

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Hey guys.

I'm working on an install for an 2002 Impala Police Package for a volunteer FF friend of mine.

He tells me cost is no issue :lol: he said he wants the best for his $$ and wants the best visibility.
He also said he doesn't care if the thing looks like an x-mas tree....

Sooo.....

First of all, what's the best technology to go with..Strobe, Halogen or LED? I'd say a mix of Halogen and Strobe.

I was thinking of getting a Vector bar (I like the look of them), putting strobes in the tail lights/head-lights, and some deck lights.

Any thoughts?

Oh...also..he can only use amber and green.

Mike
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Re: Vehicle Lighting Systems

Post by nmfire10 »

NorthYork20 wrote:Hey guys.
He tells me cost is no issue
Now that is dangerous. I don't know what color he is allowed to use, so I will make some general recomendations

I personally would never put a vector bar on anything, I think it would look wierd on a smaller car like the Impala. Here is what I would do. Assuming he wants something overhead...

Whelen LFL Liberty LED Bar Get the most LED's in the bar you can. If he wants Takedowns and alleys, get them too.

FRONT:
-Corner hideaways, preferably clear. Whelen HA239C or HA238*
-Grill strobes behind grill in whatever color.
-Whelen Mirror Beam Strobes in the side mirrors.

Rear:
-Hideaways in the reverse lights, clear if possible.
-2 Slimlighter TIR "M" Series on the back deck. put them on a good pattern then hook their power up to a wig-wag flasher to syncronize the 2 of them.

Does he want a traffic advisor? If so, you can specify the Liberty Bar to have a 5 segment LED traffic advisor on it. If he doesn't want the TA in lightbar, you can get a Whelen LED Traffic advisor and put it over or inbetween the slimlighters.

For a strobe Power supply, get the Whelen ISP188. Put the pattern on either action flash or Micro-Burst III.

You can syncronoze the Slimlighters in the back with a UHF2150A flasher.

That would be a KICK ASS bright as all hell setup. The LED's will ad very little load to the electrical system. The only real load would be the power supply for the strobes.

If he want s a strobe lightbar instead of the LED, get an LFL Patriot bar or one of the new Ultra Bars.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
ojs7216

Post by ojs7216 »

Mike, you better check the Highway Traffic Act, here is a URL

http://192.75.156.68/DBLaws/Statutes/En ... 0h08_e.htm

This is an excerpt from Section 62 of the act. Looks like your friend only gets one green light.

Vehicles of firefighters

(16) A firefighter, within the meaning of subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, may carry on or in his or her vehicle a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light and may operate the light if the motor vehicle is proceeding to a fire or other emergency. 1997, c. 4, s. 81.
mavericknet
What radios do you own?: HT1250 VHF, CDM1550 UHF

If it was my job

Post by mavericknet »

I'd recommend the code 3 MX, LED arrowstick, with strobes on the lower deck front, rotators accross the top. I'd put led on the rear deck, a strobe on the dash, and hideways around the corners.
Code3Response
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Code3Response »

Not sure if/how/when/why/where your involved in Emergency Services, but that law is not correct. Sounds as if he can only run amber and green, he shouldnt be running lights at all. What state is he responding in? As for as the vehicle config, go completelty undercover. No bars, they look bad on impalas. Again, chance are if he can only run amber (dont run green, HORRIBLY expensive in LED) he cant run a siren, so I wont mention anything for that. Id say go hideaways all around - 1 in each headlight up front, and one in each reverse light. Also one clear in each turn signal if they are amber ( dont remember on the impalas, dontthink so). Go with 911ep LED stars in the grill, or Nova linear strobe microthins. Get a Sho Me Predator ( or 2 or 3 or 7 :) ) and put them on the insdes of the vehicle, both front and back. Or you can go with the 911EP LS15 (nice light) or Code 3 LED-X. Stay away from the older generation whelen slimlighter, etc. If hes got the money, go with the new Whelen TIR M SERIES (not the R series, the M has way more output). They currently make it in a slimlighter and dashmiser config, very nice. Take a look at http://www.elightbarsforum.org for some lighting ideas, stuff for sale,e tc. Also email Andrew G at wedge@trekmush.org - he just did his new impala. Tell him Matthew Frank sent you. Any other questions, or need anything, just let me know.
Bugs Bunny

Post by Bugs Bunny »

Looks like Mike is in Canada. Laws are going to be different in a foreign country than in California. :o :o

Bugs
Barry Dehatchit

How to get busted in Ontario

Post by Barry Dehatchit »

Considering North York is in Ontario (I'm assuming you and your friend are n Ontario), installing anything other then a green light will get the volunteer ff in serious trouble.

According to the Ontario HTA, volunteers may use a green light when responding to a call. Anything other then that ie headlight/taillight strobes could land your friend in serious trouble.

Do your friend a favour and keep it legal. The best thing a friend such as you could do in this case is to advise him of the law. If he still persists in adding the wannabe cop stuff then let him go elsewhere.
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

I checked with some police friends of mine.

(Yes, we're both in Ontario).

A volunteer FF can use as much Green as he/she wants.
Headlight/Taillight strobes are okay, as long as they are green

ANY person can use amber. Any citizen in Ontario can put amber on their car and use it. There's a section about Improper use of a light. If you were driving down the road with the thing on, yeah, you could probably get nailed with it. But, if you have a legit. use, no worries.

The way the law is written, once you arrive "on-scene", you must shut off your green light. This is where the Amber comes into play. I don't think he wants to get hit from behind.

Anyway...this is the setup I was thinking:

Green strobes in the front lights (hide-a-ways)
Amber strobes in the rear reverse lights
Having some lights mounted on the deck (amber and green)

He's allowed to have an Air-Horn in the car (anyone in Ontario is), but not a siren, Gall's sells a unit that will take care of that nicely.
Code3Response
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Code3Response »

You can get that unit made by whelen for the airhorn/PA only, which would run you around $130, or just snag any old siren, and only use the PA/Airhorn function. If your REALLY freaked out about it, unsolder/cut the wires going to the siren tones, so it couldnt work if you tried. A cheaper alternative to the PA thing, but then again, "money is no object" :lol: :lol:
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

OK then, I think my first plan will have to be modified then. Here is the Revised NMFIRE10 lighting plan...

Nix the lightbar.

Front:
Green Hideaways in the corner lights
Green/Green LED "M" Slimlighter on the dash or above mirrow

Rear:
2 green Dashking remote strobes on the deck
1 Amber/Amber Slimlighter "M" on the center of the back deck
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

ptemplin

Post by ptemplin »

You can get that unit made by whelen for the airhorn/PA only, which would run you around $130, or just snag any old siren, and only use the PA/Airhorn function. If your REALLY freaked out about it, unsolder/cut the wires going to the siren tones, so it couldnt work if you tried. A cheaper alternative to the PA thing, but then again, "money is no object"
Or be a crazy wacko like me (don't worry, this is only a dream so far), and install the new Federal Signal e-Q2B (you know, the Q with the 30 amp draw instead of the 100 amp draw, and complete with "real" air horn) into a POV. Since the eQ allows external switches to control it, wire it up so in "normal" mode, the siren is only connected to the speaker when the air horn is being activated, so no other siren sounds can be generated. In "full" mode, the whole thing works. :) Now all I need is the $1700 for the siren...
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I've always thought the Whelen X-Ecutor was pretty neat.

Q-Siren sound w/ Brake
Wail
Yelp
Piercer
Grover Air Horn
And here's the kicker... Dinging Bell
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

ptemplin

Post by ptemplin »

The Whelen Xecutor may be cool, but that Q grill on the front of my Excursion should end up turning a bunch of heads. :)
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

nice antennas now those are real antennas

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”