iDEN Base (mototalk)

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

unlisted
was motosapien
What radios do you own?: Way too many...

iDEN Base (mototalk)

Post by unlisted »

Okay, I'm probably dreaming on this one, but is there a way to either:

a) get a motorola radio that can TX/RX on iden (off network) direct connect?
b) butcher up a iden direct connect (off network) capable cell and use it as a "repeater" and/or base station..

In theory, to use at base camp for persons in the woods.. I'd want a higher wattage output on the base radio..

Of course, I'm just wondering if this is at all possible..
Last edited by unlisted on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-unlisted
d119

Re: iDEN Base/Repeater?

Post by d119 »

Probably not.

If you COULD wire together two handsets to operate as a repeater, you'd have no way to talk on one direct connect channel and listen on the other without a ridiculous amount of user intervention.

The only radios that transmit & receive in iDEN mode are iDEN radios. That's it.

I think this is a lost cause, unfortunately.

If you're in the woods, the ideal setup would be a VHF system of some kind.
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

After discussing this with some other friends, I now realize I was more looking for a "base" type radio, with a larger antenna and (ideally) a higher wattage output than whatever watts the handset puts out.. not a repeater..

Suggestions?
-unlisted
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

So, it sounds like you want a base radio and a collection of portables. Why exactly do you want to do this using Nextime/iDEN? Why would typical VHF analog not work? Is there a reason for iDEN, or is it simply for wacker value?

Sounds to me like a typical VHF mobile or even a real base station, along with a collection of cheap portables, would work out just fine.
GEMOTO

Post by GEMOTO »

I have seen iden base stations available on eBay in the past few months, usually in the $3,500 price range. I do know know the legal and technical aspects of putting them on the air though.

I am guessing that they may be able to function without connectivity to a central controller, similar to the functionality of Site Trunking in an IntelliRepeater system.

I have never looked on MOL, but I'm guessing that the CPS/RSS, cables etc. is N/A to the avaerge user.
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

Its actually quite the opposite of "whacker" factor I am going for. There is a rather large public event my extended family and friends attends every year, and lots of hams are in the area. FRS/GMRS frequencies are also jammed as well. I tried to use UHF radios on a GMRS freq last year (with a ctcss normal gmrs radios don't use) but family members wanted nothing of it. (plus no one has a ham license) They are however, allot more willing to carry around a cell phone...

From my wandering around last year testing the off network feature no one up there uses direct connect. Cell service is also long distance and spotty in areas.

The site is about 500 acres more or less flat ground with about 3 dozen single story buildings, and a few barns. I am not worried about reception within buildings. I did find some "dead spots" with the handsets last year up there, hence wanting to hook up either a larger antenna (and possibly a amplifier) to one that would stay at the site we have. I'll probably just end up trying to figure out how to hook up a omni 900 mhz base antenna to one of these iden cells and go from there. I have use of a 30' mast I can attach a antenna to.

Again, I made a error saying I wanted to set up a repeater, I'm more looking to make a base type station..
I wish some of those iDEN mobile (vehicle) cells had the off network direct connect feature, that would be ideal.
-unlisted
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

Oh yes, I can also get iDEN cells for around 30 used versus 100 per radio.. also a cost factor.
-unlisted
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

it IS possible for iDEN to operate in a site trunking mode, it's known as ISO (Isolated Site Operation), and while not widely known by Sprint, the Nextel system IS capable of it. Southern LINC has this feature enabled on their sites and subscriber radios, if connection to the DAP is lost, the site will continue to function, albeit on a limited basis, and allow ISO enabled handsets to still function and communicate with each other, that is handsets registered and affiliated with that particular site. Very similar to failsoft, concept is the same. "Mission critical" users such as utility companies, etc could still have limited communication in the event of a DAP or link failure. It is possible, but most likely more trouble than it's worth. iDEN isn't a simple as a base station, there are other components, licensing, etc to consider. Not all iDEN handsets support ISO, only the I325is and similar high end industrial models, not the $30 Boost phones you are hinting around about using.

As others have stated, a conventional repeater (analog or digital) is probably a more cost effective and easier to implement option than iDEN.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

So another question now, does anyone know a easy or good way to attach an external antenna to a iden cell phone? (or an antenna lead?)

Radios are not an option, I don't have the funds, nor does anyone want to carry one. Now, if XTS4k's were really cheap.... :lol: (plus, one family friend works for a tow company and has about 7 old iden cells with mototalk...)
-unlisted
Jim1348

iDEN Base (Mototalk)

Post by Jim1348 »

Some iDEN units can have the OEM antenna removed by hand and then an external antenna can be directly connected. I have some Motorola iDEN i315 Nextels that I use exclusively for Direct Talk (AKA Moto Talk). I found the antenna adapter for a very reasonable price online. It is pretty short, but it terminates in a TNC connector, if I recall correctly. I suppose if you were to connect this to a suitable antenna with a little height you could improve range a bit, but I think the units are only .6 of a watt. I did some range testing on 800 mHz last year with a fellow ham. We compared the i315 on Direct Talk to a pair of Motorola XTS5000 radios on 800 simplex with P25 modulation. The both worked out about a mile on simplex. The XTS5000 had about 2 more blocks range, but that was it. And the XTS5000 was probably 3 watts vs. the .6 watt iDEN. That was with OEM antennas on all units. With good feed line and the 30 foot mast you are referring to, you will likely improve the range. Certainly it will depend on how much gain the antenna has. Also, if the base is centrally located. If I recall correctly, one square mile is 640 acres. You mention the site being about 500 acres, so that is less than a square mile. If the gain antenna were in the center of the site at 30 feet you might just get by.

Here is my post from a year ago on this
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74864

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”