Trunking locating

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Motoman
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 III, MTS2000 III,

Trunking locating

Post by Motoman »

For Search and Rescue purposes out department have trunking radios on the Government Radio Network. If we have a person who ie. injured themselves and can't operate their radio, is it possible to locate them in a certain area? In other words when their radio gives off it's ID so i can pick the best trunking site to use can we see which site it's using and then search and radius to find them? Cheers
Motoman at your service!
Zack08

Re: Trunking locating

Post by Zack08 »

I think almost all of the trunking systems let you see which site a portable is transmitting on, but I don't know if you have to look at the voter panel or if it will come up on a console. (Edit: Doh! I'm thinking EDACS, I'm not sure what type of system you're talking about.)

I would like to point out that even if you can find which site the radio was last using, it still only narrows your search down to a very large area.
Motoman
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 III, MTS2000 III,

Post by Motoman »

Oh ok thanks sorry i'm talking about Smartzone.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

First off it depends on what version SZ you are using (e.g. 7x P25) and whether you have GPS mics. If so that answer would be yes. If not then the answer would be "maybe" as the query functions in the SZ system is very generic and unless the system has the optional high capacity HD it gets usually overwritten in 24 hours.

To perform queries like that I use the Genesis NetVista product loaded onto a server that gived me around 6 to 7 months of historical user information that includes the site information.

So to wrap it up, unless you know what the details of the system are it would be difficult to answer the question.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

It's not a trivial exercise.

If the radio has Radio Trace/Remote Monitor enabled, you can get cooperation from the system operator to get the radio to key-up for a while and provide details of what site and traffic channel radio is on while it's transmitting, you have radio direction finding equipment and appropriately skilled people handy, you could locate it.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”