Flaky "Out Of Range" Issue XTS3k

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

unlisted
was motosapien
What radios do you own?: Way too many...

Flaky "Out Of Range" Issue XTS3k

Post by unlisted »

So, I have a mod 3 xts3k 800 mhz radio.

For the past few months at times when I switch it on, I only get a "out of range" error, yet at other times, I do not, and it works all fine and dandy.

Checked with the radio tech, everything is proper in the codeplug, control channels are correct, blah blah blah. Everything in the codeplug is correct- no issues there.

Just cannot figure it out, thought I would ask here, maybe someone here has some suggestions... Would it be as simple as swapping out the RF board for a new one, or should I get a new radio?
-unlisted
GEMOTO

Re: Flaky "Out Of Range" Issue XTS3k

Post by GEMOTO »

A place to start is a complete alginment procedure.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

You can also check that the antenna cable is plugged securely into the RF board. Unlike Sabers and Jedis with their wiper contacts, the XTS line uses a short coax jumper from the antenna connector to the RF board. I assume you've already tried a different antenna and removed the RF adapter if you have one installed?
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

I have done nothing more than have the codeplug checked and dumped into the radio a few times.. (so far)

Just checked the RF cable, its properly attached, tried a different antenna a while ago, no difference.

Should I try getting it aligned first, or do I have other options before that?

(on another note I got a bone to pick with motorola now, I have the OEM case removal tool, and it just damaged the bottom of my xts case (screwdriver like damage) no, I never used a screwdriver on this case, and it was purchased new about 1.5 yrs ago) :x
-unlisted
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

... Of course, it now is working again.... randomly..
-unlisted
GEMOTO

Post by GEMOTO »

Before using any radio it's best to align it for deviation, power output, frequency error etc. I usually "touch up" my radios once a year or so.

Not having the equipment is not an excuse. Think of this in terms of having a car, every X thousand miles a tune-up is needed to keep the car working smoothly, if a tune-up or regular maintenance is not performed, sometimes things start to go wrong, either intermittently or a complete failure. Most people don't have the tools to perform a tune-up on a car so they take it elsewhere. It's just part of having a car.

There are many fine people on this board who would be willing to help you out if you were to simply pay shipping both ways. You may want to start a thread and see if someone would be able to help you if you do not have the equipment to align the radio yourself.

Another option is to ask the system tech’s/admin’s of the trunking system or the shop that does their work to possibly look at it for you.
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

I have a local tech who is willing to do the work, I just never really got a "final" price from him, and I have heard from others its "not cheap" to have it done (in the first place)...

Whats the normal charge for aligning radios? I also prefer to keep service local, as shipping across the CDN/US border can take a while with customs, etc..
-unlisted
akardam

Post by akardam »

For anybody with the necessary knowledge and equipment, it shouldn't take much more'n 30 minutes to do a full alignment on the radio, so I guess it depends on what the labor rate is.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

How different is the alignment process for an Astro25 portable from the process for older Astro radios? For those, you don't even need a RTX4005 test box or a P25-capable service monitor; all of the audio tones are generated inside the radio and measured in analog.
DC615
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R M3, XTVA w/HHCH

Post by DC615 »

We have a new 800 MHz XTL5000 in our fire engine and we get the "Out of Range" message when we turn on the radio, and it almost instantly goes into service after that. We are on a signal fringe at our station though, and are in a metal building.

I wonder if your in a low signal area if the radio takes a second to affiliate, or a tower problem?

That just my two cents. Good luck.

-Daniel
DC615
GEMOTO

Post by GEMOTO »

Its very similar, almost no difference. Takes the same amount of time to do an ASTRO as an ASTRO 25.
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

And after working fine last evening, when I went to use it today, yet again, OUT OF RANGE...

Hrm.. this is starting to piss me off. Checked signal strength on my scanner and another radio, full signal in the same location...
-unlisted
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Is this a legit radio on the system, or something your just scanning with?

Using a stubby, or the dipole antenna?

What are you getting for a RSSI reading on the radio when it is in range? Using a scanner to compare usually isn't that great of a comparasion?

Do you have access to another radio to do side by side where your having problem?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

Pj wrote:Is this a legit radio on the system, or something your just scanning with?
Both, legit on the system it keeps going out of range on, but there is other stuff I just use it to monitor.
Using a stubby, or the dipole antenna?
Its the long antenna, so I assume the dipole.
What are you getting for a RSSI reading on the radio when it is in range? Using a scanner to compare usually isn't that great of a comparasion?
Good question, I've never seen that option in my feature list.. can you tell me how to figure that one out?
Do you have access to another radio to do side by side where your having problem?
I have had 3 separate mobiles (all installed in separate vehicles).. and had another portable side by side (with a different radio ID) I know the mobiles are not a good test to check the whole dead spot issue as they have mobile antennas... and the comparison portable worked just fine.
-unlisted
Pj

Post by Pj »

I believe its the "site" menu or button option. When you press it, it should show you the site number, then RSSI value. If its smartnet only, it will not be available (enabling SZ will turn it on, and will work).
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
dave.au
What radios do you own?: 5k/4k/3k/xtl5k

Post by dave.au »

Just an idea, make sure the radio isnt locked to a site,
Dave.
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

dave.au wrote:Just an idea, make sure the radio isnt locked to a site,
Dave.
I'm starting to sound like a n00b... I know how to check that on my astro spectra, how do I do it on a xts3k? :oops:
-unlisted
Pj

Post by Pj »

Again...softkey. Should be the SITE menu option. Again, I am in my truck and I don't have CPS for the XTS3k loaded in here to check.

A long press will lock or unlock a site, so chances are if you don't have that menu softkey or button assigned to the radio, your not locked onto a site.
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

What firmware is in this radio?

Assign one of the side buttons to "Site Displ/Srch" and when the radio goes out of range quickly press that button and see what the RSSI is. Anything typically less than RSSI 40 is won't lock into the control ch. If the radio is finding the control channel, but having problems decoding it, pressing the Site Displ/Srch will show: Site: XX RSSI: 00

Under RadioWide --> General, set the Imbalance Coverage Indicator to Alert and Display.

What about the signal strength indicator (if your running on a type 2 Astro capable or 9600 system). Does it wildly fluctuate or is it steady signal?
tdebarros
New User

Post by tdebarros »

What system are you using this radio on? As PJ stated, the SITE button will only work if it is on a Smartzone system. If it is a Smartnet system, SITE won't work (as there is only one site the radio could ever be on). I'm not too sure if it is an alignment issue however I am not an expert on these radios, having only a VHF one myself. If it flaked out at random on random systems I would suggest an alignment issue but because it is happening on one specific system, I'm more inclined to believe a programming issue. Do you have access to a program like TRUNKER? If so, I would check to see if it flakes out when the system rotates it's control channel. On a Smartnet system, you can have up to 4 control channels and many systems rotate this control channel every 12 hours. If you can determine that it only goes OUT OF RANGE when one particular control channel is active, there's your culprit. If that fails, I might want to take a look at other system programming. Lastly, the system that flakes out, is your radio able to successfuly affiliate? If not (and assuming you are an authorized radio on the system), I'd speak to your system administrator.
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

Well, its been found to be improper programming in the radio.. somewhere... I have no clue. It now works.. Thanks everyone. :)

Oh, and the antenna RF jack had come half unplugged from the housing as well, which I am sure did not help anything at all.
-unlisted

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”