XTS2500 Trunked Emergency from Conventional Mode

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

motorolaaustralia

XTS2500 Trunked Emergency from Conventional Mode

Post by motorolaaustralia »

Hi,

We have XTS2500 radios running v12 firmware on a SmartZone system.

When set on a conventional channel, we would like to press the top button to send an emergency on a specific trunked talkgroup.

Is it possible to revert from a conventional channel to trunked talkgroup during emergency? From looking at the CPS, it seems when in conventional mode, the emergency button is only for conventional emergency.

Alternatively, if the top button can be programmed to move to a trunked talkgroup when in conventional mode, then pressed again (in trunked mode) to send emergency. Again, looking at the CPS it doesn't look possible.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

Thanks,
Dom
sethcwilliams
What radios do you own?: Moto, Harris, GD, Raytheon

Re: XTS2500 Trunked Emergency from Conventional Mode

Post by sethcwilliams »

Dom,

I'm not in your exact situation, my fleet is made up of XTS/XTL-5000. What you said got me thinking though, I know the 5000s support a "HOME" function by reverting to a specified channel (or trunked net). I haven't had to programmed a 2500, but can you program the top button for the "HOME" function in conventional mode, then for your normal "EMERGENCY" function in trunked mode? Might solve your issue. Take it easy, brother.
Semper Fi,
BONZ

Not a Motorola Guy, but I play one throughout the week....
motorolaaustralia

Post by motorolaaustralia »

Hi

Thanks for the reply...

I do not have Home Mode Selection as an option on any of the buttons. It seems to be locked to the "HOME" button on the front keypad.

I thought about using MS1, 2 or 3 (MODE SELECT) as the Orange button in Conventional mode, but the users get access to programming these buttons so they could program conventional channels into them which would defeat the purpose.

It's a real pity the MTS2000 radios which these are replacing could revert to a ZONE/CHANNEL assignment forcing the emergency onto a talkgroup.

Thanks again,
Dom
rfbu
New User

Post by rfbu »

hi... i believe u can only revert to another conv chan if u r in conv. also u can only revert to another trunk chan if u r in trunk mode.

although i'm not sure if using the vrs will help
stevejpage
New User

Post by stevejpage »

I have to confirm that there is currently no way to have a radio in one mode (trunked or conventional) switch to the other mode for emergency trigger operation. We have looked at that as a solution to our Fire staff who use trunking as the primary mode of operation, but when they go out of range of the system (below grade, basement, concrete structure on the edge of the coverage area), they are trained to go to a conventional analog channel. If they press the emergency trigger while on conventional, it has to revert to a conventional channel.

Now, that being said, the EF Johnson Smartzone radios are able to cross that bridge and have a 'global emergency' channel set up (which Motorola tells us can't be done in the XTS/XTL series) so that when you're in trouble, you hit the e-trigger and you know where it's going to go (whether you're in range of the system or not).

We have had many discussions on the merits of both ways of doing things, and there's still no right or wrong way. Just the Motorola way.

Return to “Radio Programming”