Help needed with ML900 laptops touchpad

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

pierce911
New User

Help needed with ML900 laptops touchpad

Post by pierce911 »

I have a fleet of ML900 laptops that we use in patrol cars. I need help with issues on the
mouse jumping all over screen. The laptop will work fine when it is not on its docking station. Once docked, it turns into a beast.

Does anyone have any experience with these laptops?

This is my main question, now, but if I would love to fine help on these laptops... They are not functioning ideally at the moment, to say the least.

Thanks in advance.
jackhackett

Re: Help needed with ML900 laptops touchpad

Post by jackhackett »

From what I've heard from Moto, the GPS can cause that mouse problem.. try disabling GPS in the BIOS settings.

I suppose it could also be caused by some RF interference from some other device in the vehicle since you say it only happens when docked.
pierce911 wrote:I would love to fine help on these
laptops... They are not functioning ideally at the moment, to say the
least.
Situation normal... :/
pierce911
New User

Post by pierce911 »

I'm not showing an option in BIOS to disable GPS. I see options for Geyserville support and RF Antenna switch. Thanks for the input. I am really struggling with these!
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

How about telling us what is plugged into the dock? I have seen someone plug a usb trackball in, then stow it under the seat. That was funny! I have also seen some serial devices be recognized as a serial mouse, that could cause your issue.
pierce911
New User

Post by pierce911 »

I have the laptop of course, a cross over cable and a serial cable connecting to a blue tree modem, and that is all. I had this problem prior to installation of the bluetree modems, though.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Your modem is likely being detected as a serial mouse. Boot the machine up in the dock, then unplug the serial cable - did the mouse stop jumping around? If so, go to Device Manager, find the Serial Mouse, and disable it. Reboot with the modem plugged in and you should be good.

My MW800 thinks the GPS-2+ on the USB-serial adapter is a mouse, and does the same thing.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

pierce911 wrote:I'm not showing an option in BIOS to disable GPS. I see options for
Geyserville support and RF Antenna switch. Thanks for the input. I am
really struggling with these!
Only some models have it, you must have one that doesn't.

Is the problem only with one vehicle? If it is you could try the laptop in a different vehicle.
If it occurs with no other devices connected then it might be a faulty docking station. Which model dock is it?
pierce911
New User

Post by pierce911 »

The problem is not only with one vehicle, unfortunately. The problem occurs sporadically throughout my fleet.

I don't know the model number of the dock we are using, but I will get it today and post it. It is a Gamber Johnson dock.
pierce911
New User

Post by pierce911 »

Hello all. Sorry for the delay. I am using a Gamber Johnson dock. Model # DDN7502A.

I am having more problems now. I guess I jinxed myself by posting. Latest issue is a computer that gives me a blue screen when placed on the dock. I don't the details from the blue screen as of yet.

Thanks for any and all input.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

I found one cause of the BSOD (for me at least) was caused by an old driver for the dock's internal NIC. I updated the driver per an FSB I found and the BSOD went away.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Drivers... I haven't had much trouble with them, but I've heard that others have. You might check with Moto about updates, especially for the mouse and keyboard.. that may solve your mouse jumping problem.
pierce911
New User

Post by pierce911 »

How do you all contact Motorola? Our "authorized rep" basically sucks. I have tried to call them directly (e-mail also) but I get the run around and no response. Does anyone have a contact?
pierce911
New User

Post by pierce911 »

resqguy911 wrote:I found one cause of the BSOD (for me at least) was caused by an old driver for the dock's internal NIC. I updated the driver per an FSB I found and the BSOD went away.

Where did you find the Field Service Bulletin? I do not get these. Any chance you still have them?
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

ooops, it was an SRN not a FSB.

SRN: S-0189
SUBJECT: Mobile Laptop ML900 causes Blue Screen (blue screen with error message)
MODELS AFFECTED:
L3360A, L3361A, L3364A, L3365A, L3366A, L3367A, L3368A, L3371A, L3393A, L3394A and HK1115A that were
manufactured from 8/1/03 through 12/31/05. The affected serial number range is 343CDQXXXX through 343XFZXXXX.
SYMPTOM:
ML900 Laptops used with docking stations (office dock, mid-tier dock and high-tier dock) may experience blue screen
with memory dump and error message.
CAUSE:
It has been determined that the cause of this problem is the docking station NIC driver. This issue addressed to ML900
Realtek USB-to-LAN driver version 1.19 which may cause Blue Screen condition when using ML900 with vehicle docking
station or office docking station.
RESOLUTION:
A new version of Realtek driver version 1.22 with Windows Hardware Quality Lab certification is available to resolve this
issue.
New version of ML900 Realtek USB-to-LAN driver can be obtained by calling the System Support Center at 1-800-221-
7144 and opening a case with the TSO Data team.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”