HSN4035 Amplified Speaker to MCS2000

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Vercomm

HSN4035 Amplified Speaker to MCS2000

Post by Vercomm »

Hey Guys,

Pretty basic question, but just want to verify.

I am connecting an HSN4035 amplified speaker to a MCS2000. I am not using a dual head setup, just connecting the speaker into the MCS' accessory connector. Going to be connecting a remote speaker and mic in a fire truck, but no budget for dual head.

So here's the question:

Does the Rx input of the Amplifed speaker get plugged into Pin 11 on the MCS' 25 pin accessory connector? I've connected these units in dual head configuration before; being the rear volume operates independantely of the front I assume it connects to Pin 11 and not Pin 1.

I realizz that I will have to also connect to ground and B+ to operate the amplified speaker, just want to verify the audio input connection point.

Thanks!
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, torn up and shouting... "Holy Sh*t...what a ride!!"
Vercomm

Re: HSN4035 Amplified Speaker to MCS2000

Post by Vercomm »

Forgot to ask 1 thing, could this speaker be connected to a CDM series radios and the audio input of the speaker connected to Pin 11 of the CDM's acc. connector too?

Thanks!!
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, torn up and shouting... "Holy Sh*t...what a ride!!"
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

I believe the internal MCS audio circuit (CDM's as well) uses a balanced output, like the Spectras, so you better use some sort of isolation transformer inbetween the radio and the amplified speaker. The shield(-) on the amplified speaker's audio input is tied to DC ground, and you don't want any part of your radio's audio circuit touching ground.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

He's not planning on connecting to the speaker leads at all, but the discriminator output of the radio, so isolation isn't an issue in this case. Yes, pin 11 is the output for both radio models.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

wavetar wrote:He's not planning on connecting to the speaker leads at all, but the discriminator output of the radio, so isolation isn't an issue in this case. Yes, pin 11 is the output for both radio models.
Is the RX Audio output on a MCS controlled by the volume knob, or is it independent like on the Maxtracs, M1225s, and so forth?

Also, in a trunking radio is it true discriminator audio (i.e. unmuted/flat) or is it muted/de-emphasized? And is it jumper-selectable?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

motorola_otaku wrote:
wavetar wrote:He's not planning on connecting to the speaker leads at all, but the discriminator output of the radio, so isolation isn't an issue in this case. Yes, pin 11 is the output for both radio models.
Is the RX Audio output on a MCS controlled by the volume knob, or is it independent like on the Maxtracs, M1225s, and so forth?

Also, in a trunking radio is it true discriminator audio (i.e. unmuted/flat) or is it muted/de-emphasized? And is it jumper-selectable?
The level is independant of the volume control, just like the other radio models. It is muted/de-emphasized by default. There is no programming parameter or jumper I'm aware of to change that, although I believe it's a programming parameter in the GM900 version of the radio.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Andre
Batboard $upporter

Post by Andre »

does anyone know the wiring schematic for a HSN4035 Speaker?
-Andre
Vercomm

Post by Vercomm »

Yes....i have the small service instruction booklet.......can email or you can download.

68P81109C65-O

Jamie
Andre
Batboard $upporter

Post by Andre »

I've looked over the service manual for this speaker and it doesn't list what each wire does, I know the red and black are power and ground, the blue is Audio+ and bare wire is Audio-, but what do the white and white/black wires do???

has anyone ever hooked one of these speakers to the second DB25 connector of a Astro Spectra?

Andre
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

The black and white wires are just a jumper. No, seriously, they just loop back around into each other. Power and the shielded cable are all you need to get it going.

While you do not want to connect one of these to the speaker-level output of any Spectra, it should work fine with Receive Audio to the + input (not Detected Audio) and the shield to Analog Ground.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”