Spectra Help

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

yardbirdjr

Spectra Help

Post by yardbirdjr »

Hello All!

I have a T43 A-9 Vhf Spectra. I have read the thing with Spectra software and it says zone operation is not available. I was wanting to know what is involved with making it a zone operation Spectra.

I have a T44 A-9 Spectra. It does zone operation and that is what I want in the VHF Model.

I really don't want to buy anoter Spectra, due to 2013 around the corner.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

David
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: Spectra Help

Post by kc7gr »

The issue you're running into is a firmware version difference between memory modules. Zone operation is not supported in firmware versions below 6.x.

Is it possible to upgrade the memory module? Yes, but you'd need a full-blown surface-mount IC rework station, a device programmer, the appropriate blank parts, and about four hours' effort (if you're skilled with all the above, and you know how to hex-edit).

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
Will

Post by Will »

True, it is a part of the firmware in the ROM portion of the MLM.

Sometimes we get a Spectra that does not need Zones and swap out the MLM for the older firmware version one.
yardbirdjr

Post by yardbirdjr »

Thanks guy!

Next question? I have some old Spectra parts radios laying around.

Is it possible to exchange the MLM boards and make one of my Spectras do zone operation.

I am wanting to get out as cheap as possible

Thanks

David
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

If you do a search for the Spectra zone operation, you should find the version of the MLM board that
you need to be above to get zone operation. If the MLM board you have is at least that version, then
you half way there. KC7GR syas that you need at least 6.x to be able to run zones.

The easy way of converting to a zone radio is to locate a zone codeplug and clone that into your radio.
The x7 and x9 versions of the control head will allow you to program 2 of the buttons for zone up and
zone down.

I would tell you that you need to write down on a pad of paper exactly what channels (frequencies,
PL, scan and the likes) you want per zone. It will drive you insane if you don't do this as you try to
set up the programming for the radio. You do loose some flexibility in scanning to set the priority and
non priority channels. Be it fix or operator selected, make sure you figure out how you want it ahead
of time. Still only get 16 channels in a scan list.

You have the zone names to set up as you go along. I have about 15 zones in my radio. It took me some
time to program the radio over several sessions. I did one zone at a time to make sure it went the way
I wanted it. Then went back and read the radio and did the next zone. Not all my zones had up to 16
channels. Sort of set them up with where I wanted to travel and the type of use the zone would have.
Set one zone up for just the National Weather service and scanned all the channels. That way I did not
have to worry about trying to remember which channels were used in what region. As I travel over a
big area of about a 10 to 14 state region, this makes my life a little simpler with the radio.

Just take your time and do your homework. Write it all down ahead of time.

Jim

yardbirdjr wrote:Thanks guy!

Next question? I have some old Spectra parts radios laying around.

Is it possible to exchange the MLM boards and make one of my Spectras do zone operation.

I am wanting to get out as cheap as possible

Thanks

David
Will

Post by Will »

Someone said they had a way to blank the MLM so the RSS would initialize it for the correct model radio.
Does anyone recall?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”