Recapping Spectra: Tantalums a no go?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Splat

Recapping Spectra: Tantalums a no go?

Post by Splat »

Time to recap my vhf Spectra. The local shops don't have the electrolytic radial caps I was going to use but they do have radial tantalums. I seem to remember reading somewhere about NOT using tantalums for some reason... but I cannot remember what it was. I'd appreciate some help here guys before I go screwing my Spectra up. Would tantalums (radial lead) be ok to use or should I stick to the radial 'lytics?
“If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as a sorry state as the souls who live under tyranny.”
― Thomas Jefferson
maxkelley_kc2spy
What radios do you own?: XTS2.5K-Q, ASpectra, MT2K

Re: Recapping Spectra: Tantalums a no go?

Post by maxkelley_kc2spy »

I talked to a local dealer and he mentioned that you don't really want to go changing the types of capacitors around... If they're electrolytic, they are that way for a reason! I used the Panasonic HD series capacitors to replace the ones in three dashmount Spectras... Working really well so far! They have a better temperature rating and are better quality than the ones Motorola put in there (heck, a wet noodle would be better than those...)

For the 47uF @ 16v (1 per radio) DigiKey Part # PCE3340CT-ND @ $0.32/each
For the 10uF @ 50v (3 per radio) DigiKey Part # PCE3350CT-ND @ $0.26/each
For the 10uF @ 16v (6 to 7 per radio, depending on revision) DigiKey Part # PCE3338CT-ND @ $0.17/each

These fit perfectly on the pads for the old ones. A fine tip soldering iron, steady hand, and some solder wick make this job not too hard for the intermediate solderer. Took me an hour and fifteen minutes for the first one I did.

http://www.ai4ji.com/Projects/Spectra/spectra_main.htm is a good resource on recapping the Spectra, if you've never done it before.
Max Kelley KC2SPY
http://www.maxkelley.com
MT2000 VHF & UHF A7, Visar UHF, ASII UHF, Maratrac UHF, Astro Spectra UHF, MCS2KIII 900, XTS2.5K-Q
JPOPatents

Post by JPOPatents »

Does anyone know if it is necesssary to recap a later model Spectra E series radio? D37KGA5JE7AK.
-John
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

All of them, even Astro Spectras. GARY N4KVE
Will

Post by Will »

We have been using Mil Spec tantalum caps in Spectras for several years.
No problems..

BTW the radial leaded tantalum caps are easy to solder in there if you do not have surface mount capability.

Some capacitor values have changed over the years and are NOT documented in the Motorola service manuals.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Will, I won't be changing any values from the caps already in there. The tantalums I can get are not mil-spec but hopefully they'll do. Thanks guys.
“If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as a sorry state as the souls who live under tyranny.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I don't know why you couldn't use a tantalum cap as long as you observe the polarity and voltage rating. There are plenty of them in Spectras already.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

I don't bother with tantalums, I figure the ones I put electrolytics in won't go bad for at least a couple of years and I'm really hoping to have found a better job by then.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Any Spectra that's been recapped in the last decade will meet the Jan 2013 deadline no problem.
Splat

Post by Splat »

An electronics store that I thought had closed up had the 'lytics in the values needed so I used them. Radio's working great again. Long live the Spectra! :D
― Thomas Jefferson
KB8YGX
New User
What radios do you own?: AS W7,AS III,XTS2500,HT1250

Post by KB8YGX »

Do the radios need to be realigned after being recapped?
Will

Post by Will »

KB8YGX wrote:Do the radios need to be realigned after being recapped?

You should not need to realign your Spectra.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”