Centracom dispatcher error

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wfd
New User

Centracom dispatcher error

Post by Wfd »

We have a centracom dispatcher that's been installed on a number of older xp boxes. We're in the process of upgrading the pcs and we've done a test install but the manuals have been lost and we can't get it working. I've tried motorola.com but can't find the docs we need. We've got it installed and we've given the machine the same name as an old one, but when we start up we get an error saying there is an operator id mismatch.

The old machines aren't on the domain and don't require a login but the new machines need to be on the domain so there is an active directory account to logon. On the older machines the username shown by a set command at the dos prompt is Administrator. We assume that this is the id of the Operator logging onto centracom but we don't know how to add new users.

Can somebody please tell me where we can get a copy of the installation documents; or tell me what the error actually means and how we might fix it.

I really appreciate any help.
d119

Re: Centracom dispatcher error

Post by d119 »

Are you *certain* the machine name is the same as what is in the CDM (Console Database Manager)?

I take it this is a Centracom Gold Elite platform.

The actual name of the PC needs to be the same as what is in CDM. Right clicking on My Computer, then clicking on Properties and then the "Computer Name" tab in XP will show you what the machine's name is. It has nothing to do with the user account logged on to Windows, the actual machine name needs to match what is in CDM.

I hope you are using Windows XP, as anything past that is unsupported for Centracom Gold Elite and may yield odd results. Supposedly Vista support is coming or available in the final release, but I've not played with that.
Wfd
New User

Post by Wfd »

Thanks so much for that - we had installed on Windows 7 and ran it with XP compatibility. When we installed on a native XP it worked perfectly. Now that we know we'll have a play with with XP mode to see if that works.

Thanks again!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Wfd wrote:Thanks so much for that - we had installed on Windows 7 and ran it with XP compatibility. When we installed on a native XP it worked perfectly. Now that we know we'll have a play with with XP mode to see if that works.

Thanks again!
Yeah, Centracoms are very sensitive to even 'minor' OS changes like service packs. Each deployed system is tested to the nuts with a specific software/hardware/firmware platform and if you change anything, Motorola won't even talk to ya. So unless you plan on running a virtual machine (and even that may not suffice) I seriously doubt you'll get compatibility mode to do anything for you. It's not so much the software running on the PC itself, but the other equipment in the CEB and whatnot it needs to talk to.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
boteman
What radios do you own?: AudioMate 360

Post by boteman »

wavetar wrote:Yeah, Centracoms are very sensitive to even 'minor' OS changes like service packs.
This is why it is wise to disable ALL automatic Windows updates and just let the thing run. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

This policy might run afoul of the more anal-retentive i.t. people, so be prepared to do battle on that front. Speaking of policies, they might very well enforce Windows domain policies (that you can't change) that require said console machines to accept automatic Windows updates. I recommend getting them to put these console computers in a separate group with a separate policy that does not require automatic updates, or else allow the local machine administrator account to elect that choice. If you are the i.t. people, then life is good.
d119

Post by d119 »

Speaking from personal experience, I've found that Centracom Gold Elite runs just fine on a standard Windows XP machine. At home, I have it installed on a machine that's used as an "every day" home internet computer, it just has a CIE hanging off of it.

The machine has antivirus, downloads it's updates automatically, has all kinds of other things installed, etc. and I've never had the slightest bit of trouble with running CCGE on it.

I think the important thing is that it MUST be run on an XP machine. I wouldn't trust "Compatibility Mode" to any public safety / life-safety installation. Give it what it wants - Windows XP.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

boteman wrote:
wavetar wrote:Yeah, Centracoms are very sensitive to even 'minor' OS changes like service packs.
This is why it is wise to disable ALL automatic Windows updates and just let the thing run. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

This policy might run afoul of the more anal-retentive i.t. people, so be prepared to do battle on that front. Speaking of policies, they might very well enforce Windows domain policies (that you can't change) that require said console machines to accept automatic Windows updates. I recommend getting them to put these console computers in a separate group with a separate policy that does not require automatic updates, or else allow the local machine administrator account to elect that choice. If you are the i.t. people, then life is good.
I'd further suggest sticking this sort of stuff on a completely separated network. Use two PCs, one just for Centracom, and the other for your other business applications, which might be internet connected if you want/need, running a modern OS etc.

Something like a Conficker outbreak on your Centracom system could screw you over on a day where you really need the system to work.
boteman
What radios do you own?: AudioMate 360

Post by boteman »

mr.syntrx wrote:I'd further suggest sticking this sort of stuff on a completely separated network. Use two PCs, one just for Centracom, and the other for your other business applications, which might be internet connected if you want/need, running a modern OS etc.

Something like a Conficker outbreak on your Centracom system could screw you over on a day where you really need the system to work.
True, very very true. There are numerous good practices in the i.p. networking environment that can save you many headaches. Placing packetized voice on its own VLAN (virtual local area network) is a good one, but without further routing arrangements this isolates devices on that separate VLAN. As mr.syntrx points out this can be a good thing in isolating malware outbreaks.

As always, you *can* leave it all on one (usually small) network and experience no ill effects, but just because you can do something doesn't make it desirable.

Many miles and years ago I had a small group of ham friends who worked at the electrical utility's radio shop and we'd chat about it on their UHF repeater. They had a report that a mobile radio in one of the overhead trucks was not working properly. They discovered that the electrician found where the coax was severed by the door, broke out his black electrical tape, and taped together the two center conductors and then taped together the braid as best he could. Like I said, just because you think you can get away with something doesn't mean it is the best way.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”