Modifing CPS band splits

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Motoman
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 III, MTS2000 III,

Modifing CPS band splits

Post by Motoman »

I have Astro Spectra CPS trying to change band splits. I've read the CPS how to but don't understand where to find the splits. I found line AEDD8C and converted the line to decimal but still doesn't make sense. Does someone have screen shoots of how to do it? Thank would be great thanks.
Motoman at your service!
Motoman

Re: Modifing CPS band splits

Post by Motoman »

Hey guys really need your help on this. I have an astro spectra Q split so 403-437 however i can't find it's band edges i converted the 403 to hex and searched and found nothing. The CPS however does allow me to put in 441 and be okay so i tried that and nothing. I've noticed that all the how to's for this everyone uses 450 as an example which i can find the string for no problem. But i want to get into the 470 to 482 range. Any help would be great. Even an already modified .exe file to allow that range would be a help. Cheers.
Motoman at your service!
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

You don't say what you've looked at, i.e. which 'How To'?

Have you read the following?

My original post: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=236

Then the Batlab's write up: http://batlabs.com/wincps.html

Then Akardam's write up: http://www.akardam.net/moto/docs/cps-oob.html

Next understand that the address AEDD8C was for a specific version of the CPS, every version is differnt that's why you have to look to find the table in the version of CPS S/W you have.

But what you're trying to do may not be that practical. Moving a 403 to 437 MHz Spectra to the 470+ MHz range isn't going to work without modifcations to the VCO and front end modules.

Have a look at these amongst similar posts: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=98751 http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89190

Have you dealt with these H/W issues?
Motoman

Post by Motoman »

Thanks Astro Spectra. I didn't even see that post. Oh well guess i'm stuck with a q split then.
Motoman at your service!
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

If you're still keen then the best bet might be to pick up a beat up analog Spectra and swap the front end and VCO. It would also need alignment (which is hard because the test freqs in the tuner aren't easily shifted) and even then it won't be ACMA compliant, the TX won't be perfect (no P25 TX for example), and you'll have lower than expected TX output unless you do more work with a soldering iron.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

"Astro Spectra" most of what you point to is useless, the current CPS is 5.03 not 1.01, and I have yet to find the proper areas to modify in 5.03. It's not that I don't appreciate yours and everybody elses work, but it's over 10 years old and really out of date, and should be noted as such. Akardam's docs are for Astro 25 products which brings me to this post along with one I have posted looking for info. If there isn't any, well then I guess it's up to me to update if possible.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

RADIOMAN2002 wrote:"Astro Spectra" most of what you point to is useless, the current CPS is 5.03 not 1.01, and I have yet to find the proper areas to modify in 5.03. It's not that I don't appreciate yours and everybody elses work, but it's over 10 years old and really out of date, and should be noted as such. Akardam's docs are for Astro 25 products which brings me to this post along with one I have posted looking for info. If there isn't any, well then I guess it's up to me to update if possible.

I will add a few comments here in that much of the old Spectra circuit boards are very similar to the new Astro Spectra boards. You can pull a VCO board from a Spectra and it will work just fine. The problem is trying to get the radio to accept frequencies above the original band segment. If it was a Spectra, then you could go in and bit bang the memory locations. No one has figured out all the different memory locations like in the Spectra. Plus the software is not as friendly to get around to do all those special things.

Jim

Return to “Radio Programming”