BIP Tone Remote Problem

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

pluto1914
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few APXs

BIP Tone Remote Problem

Post by pluto1914 »

We have low band BIP with a Motorola tone remote adapter (L3276). Every so often the CDM1250 in the cabinet comes up and says unprogrammed. When I power cycle the tone remote adapter the radio recovers and returns to normal. I had originally thought it was the console it was attached to but when I disconnected it from that and connected the BIP to a single channel tone remote desk set the problem continues.

I think it's the tone remote adapter because I can power cycle it and the radio works fine.

Anyone experience this before or have any suggestions?

Thanks.

David
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Re: BIP Tone Remote Problem

Post by kb4mdz »

Is it a multi-channel setup? 1950 Hz for F1, 1850 Hz for F2, 1750 Hz for F3, etc.? Might be some noise somewhere that's forcing the channel select lines (relay contacts) to a state which is undefined in the radio; say you only have 3 channels programmed, but somehow channel 5 , or 6 is called for; the remote adapter will toggle the lines to select that, but if there's nothing in ch. 5, or 6, it should honk at you.
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

Post by pluto1914 »

So if I cannot determine the noise I could trick the radio by programming the primary channels in the unused channel slots?

**Strike that...I just checked the code plug and that has already been done. I put a ferrite coil on the phone line coming into the radio to see if that fixes the problem.

David
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

What's a "BIP"?
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

Post by pluto1914 »

Um....If memory serves me it is "Base Interface Package".
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

ahhh, BIP. As in 'you bet your bippy?'

Sorry, showing my age and love for Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.

Anyway, is this whole thing set for multi-channel operation? Remote, radio & L3276? And do the number of channels match across all equipment?
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

Post by pluto1914 »

Thats the idea and the radio, L3276 and remote are all under one roof. We only use two frequencies in the radio, repeated and simplex. But if you toggle through the channels on the radio they are in there more than once.
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

Post by pluto1914 »

Thats the idea and the radio, L3276 and remote are all under one roof. We only use two frequencies in the radio, repeated and simplex. But if you toggle through the channels on the radio they are in there more than once.

David
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

David,

This is a common problem with the Gai Tronics/Motorola Tone Remote Adapter. Let me tell you what I think might be causing the problem and what we did, and I will inject my thougths into the situation.

The very simple fix to the problem is to make certain that all channels within the zone are programmed with a valid channel. So in other words if you are using a CDM750 (4 channel) and are only using channels 1 & 2 with 3-4 being programmed as blank or unprogrammed this will cause a problem. Either populate them with other known channels or assign the most common used channel in slots 3 & 4.

For a CDM1250 (16 Channels in zone) and you are only using channels 1 & 2, channels 3-16 should be fully programmed and assigned in the zone assignement screen. Again, if channel 1 is the most common channel, the zone assignement would be 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1 etc. The CDM and Tone Adapter are just getting lost and landing you on a unprogrammed channel. My thought is it is not a line noise probem or cross talk issue, although that could cause that to happen. But keeping in mind that the line levels and lines are in good condition, Ill bet you lunch it is just programming.

My personal opinion, open the cabinet, take hands and rip out Gai Tronics/Motorola POS tone remote adapter out of cabinet and insert to the round storage cabinet. Promptly insert CPI TTP 216 or Zetron 250 adapter and enjoy. I don't know what it is but I and almost everyone I know have had strange issues with the GaiTronics/ Motorola Adapters. This ranged from crappy audio to mostly odd channel changing behaviors. Random channel changes, landing on the wrong channel, etc. We just stopped using them all together. I would venture to say that over the last 5 years collectviely we have installed over 125 CPI adapters with no issues. I can't tell you how many service calls have resulted from or led back to the Gai Tronics Units. The CPI work and work well, and sound great. This of course is just my 2 cents. Good luck, report back on the programming issue.

- Rob
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Good insight. Thanks Rob. Each one teach one.
Will

Post by Will »

Being "under one roof" I would get rid of the tone remote and go direct to the radio, Mic, PTT, F sel., and RX audio from the Filtered Audio on the accy connector.

AKA extended local.
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

Post by pluto1914 »

OK. I did as suggested and I haven't had a problem since. Thank you Rob for your insight. I have shared this information with other in our Fire District as we all have the same radio.

David

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”