Saber Module Swap 403-433 -> 440-470 Codeplug advice wanted

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jckrarup
What radios do you own?: Spectras and Sabers

Saber Module Swap 403-433 -> 440-470 Codeplug advice wanted

Post by jckrarup »

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of Saber IIR's with a government split. I plan to swap modules from a Saber 440-470 in order to be able to use them on the amateur band. My plan is to swap:

NLE9431 Receiver with NLE9432 (A)
NLE9461 Synthesizer with NLE9462 (B & C)
NLE9471 Power Amp with NLE9472 (A)

I guess the letter suffix is a revision number r.g. NLE9231 A, B or C - Should I pay any attention to that ?

I am in doubt about how to go about updating the codeplug. Should I create a new one from scratch with the options that I read off the old radios or should I keep the old ones - I guess read it, modify only the split and keep everything the way it was. Any comments on a successful strategy ?

Best regards Janus, OZ5JCK
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

Re: Saber Module Swap 403-433 -> 440-470 Codeplug advice wan

Post by Andy Brinkley »

The part numbers to swap are correct, and the A,B,C indicate the revision of the part, any revision will work.
A good reference on the SABER is:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... index.html

You will need to create a codeplug from scratch with the options that you have read off the old radio. I highly recommend reading the "old" radio and saving an archive in a separate location so you can have it for comparison. After you generate the codeplug you will need to tune . align the radio for best performance.
Also when you swap modules pay attention to the length of the screws, there are long ones and short ones. If you put a long one in the wrong hole you can cut a trace on the synthesizer. (I know from experience).

Also where are you in Denmark? I travel to the Copenhagen area 2 -3 times a year.

73s'
Andy / NC4AB
AEC
No Longer Registered

Re: Saber Module Swap 403-433 -> 440-470 Codeplug advice wan

Post by AEC »

The nice thing about the old Sabers, is that you can build a codeplug right away and not have to deal with tuning settings, those can be adjusted later actually.
Simply swap modules for modules, and enter your channel data, program, and then run the tuning menu for proper settings and levels.
You can save the old tuning data, but it will be incorrect for the new bandsplit, so there is no need really. You will have to start fresh, or borrow a similar tuned radio and use those, then realign with more up to date adjustments.

You have the correct modu'les for use in your desired band split, so put them in and start building your new channe definition. Program and then align the radio.
You can select the save tuning option when programming as well.

Return to “Radio Programming”