Csoft filename bug

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Bill_G

Csoft filename bug

Post by Bill_G »

I ran into an interesting problem setting up a new Telex CSoft console - changing the filename for the veg file can cause the foot pedal to not work through the ADHB.

????

Yeah, exactly. I have no idea how, and Telex tech support says they cannot reproduce the problem. But, I can reproduce it on both new consoles I set up, my laptop, and on another customer's console. We're running v6.12, the latest version of CSoft, with advanced headset boxes (ADHB), foot pedals and boom mics on Win 7 PC's.

I found quite accidentally. As I build a new user interface desktop for a customer, I save the different iterations with the date in the name. (ie: Batboard 2-28-13.veg) We add this, and we add that, and take that off, and change the shape, change the colors, etc etc. It's an exercise until we zero in on what features they want and don't want in the final version. However, we don't always check every function as we go. We're just playing with the look and feel, and then I get to iron out the behavior later.

In this case the foot pedals didn't work on either console. Weird. The ADHB status screen showed the closure (foot switch ACTIVE, foot switch INACTIVE, foot switch ACTIVE) perfectly, but there was no corresponding PTT. Likewise, the main PTT would not pass the boom mic. The desk mic button worked. The headsets worked. But, the foot pedal would not PTT, and main PTT bar on the screen would not gate the boom mic. So, I pass the problem on to Telex tech support, and keep trudging ahead with the console design, the line levels out of the IP224's etc while I wait for a response.

And then out of the clear blue, I have foot pedals and a working main PTT bar.

Oh wait a minute - I just ran a new version of the veg file. Lets fire up the older one from the other day. Bingo! No foot pedals. Load todays - they work. Load the old one - they don't. So, I start tearing through it looking for a mistake, and I can't find anything. It all looks correct. Telex finally gets back to me, and they say they can't duplicate the problem with the file I sent them.

Okay - let's load the file I sent. It works. What's different about this file? I know it is the file that doesn't have foot pedals. The only thing different is I renamed it Batboard 2-28-13 no foot pedals.veg

Ding! Light goes on. I rename it back to the original name, and now it fails. Change anything about the filename, and it works. Change the date. Don't use hyphens. Take out the spaces. It works. Put it back to the original filename, and the foot pedals will not work, and the main screen PTT bar will not gate the boom mic.

And Telex says they still cannot duplicate the problem. I can do it on four different computers running v6.12 on Win 7. So, be aware that if you get odd behavior, and you cannot find a problem in the configurations, try changing the veg file name to something else to see if that helps.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”