Motorola Micom 2M or 2MF

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radiocat37

Motorola Micom 2M or 2MF

Post by radiocat37 »

I have recently acquired a Micom 2M (might be a 2MF) HF rig. It looks like a 2BF, but has marine HF buttons. Is this essentially a 2BF internally?? I cannot find any info on it. I have the software and have ordered a programming cable. Thanks for any info.

I was actually able to find some more info on it after this initial post. I would still welcome any input on this rig....mainly if able to set up for front panel frequency entry and for frequency changing via the up-down buttons.

Model: M70AMK0KVCM
Brian Griffin: Ah, if my memory serves me, this is the physics department.
Chris Griffin: That would explain all the gravity.

Lois: Peter, you're drunk again.
Peter: No, I'm just exhausted because I've been up all night drinking.
jnglmassiv
Batboard $upporter

Re: Motorola Micom 2M or 2MF

Post by jnglmassiv »

I'm quite a fan of the Micom line and yet somehow, I've never noticed this marine version.
Here's a cutsheet for others similarly unfamiliar:
http://www.ameradio.com/doc/Micom-2MF.pdf

It does appear to be very much like a -BF with a bunch of marine HF channels built in.

This portion suggests that it is not keypad programmable:
The MICOM-2MF features front panel controls that combine simplicity
of operation with sophisticated communication features. The radio
is configured via a Radio Service Software (RSS) program for factory
or field programming with a PC computer.
A similar specsheet for the -2EF specifically mentions 'front panel programming.'

I recommend joining and asking over at the Micom list on Yahoo Groups.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Re: Motorola Micom 2M or 2MF

Post by com501 »

Royal comm will have RSS and just about anything else you might need for this radio, also.
radiocat37

VSWR went high and now no transmit

Post by radiocat37 »

I got the software and the cable and everything was good, but was tuning it on my MFJ-949E; TX went high and then the TX went flat. I am wondering if there is some sort of VSWR protection circuit has gone off. Can anyone advise if a protection fuse has blown or maybe there is some sort of reset for this?

I ran the BITE test and it keeps saying antenna match fail on the test, but antenna is tuned.

OK...problem solved. The RX power source fuse had popped (The previous owner put in too low amp fuse). I guess the TX also shuts down so I got nothing. Anyway I checked the manual (ridiculous but true) and found it needed at least a 3A fuse and replaced. Now I have both excellent TX and RX.
Brian Griffin: Ah, if my memory serves me, this is the physics department.
Chris Griffin: That would explain all the gravity.

Lois: Peter, you're drunk again.
Peter: No, I'm just exhausted because I've been up all night drinking.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”