Extension Cable for Speaker w/03 HHCH and XTL5K

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

Extension Cable for Speaker w/03 HHCH and XTL5K

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Anyone know if Motorola makes a 17 foot speaker extension cable, with an appropriate molex connector on either end, so you can connect it to the accessory connector pigtail short grey zip cord speaker leads at the rear of the XTL5K, and then run the 17 ft zip cord extension cable up to the front to connect to the speaker? This way, you could remote mount the XTL5K radio, and avoid having to run that ridiculous big huge fat 17 ft cable, just for the tiny little grey zip cord speaker leads. I am not hooking up the ignition sense cable, so I don't need to use the red ignition sense wire. BTW, I'm using an 03 HHCH. Yes, I know I can make up such a cable easy enough, but I'm just wondering if mother M has such a cable with the nice Molex connectors already in place (probably costs a fortune, I know!).

Thanks for any help on this, guys!
ASTROMODAT

Re: Extension Cable for Speaker w/03 HHCH and XTL5K

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Thanks for the reference to the various posts about the 03 HHCH interface to a remote XTL5K.

However, my initial question still remains: I do not want to have to run the GIAGANTIC, ridiculously huge, fat, honking' 17 ft long fire hose cable from the trunk mounted XTL5K radio to the 03 HHCH up front in the cabin just for the tiny 2 wire grey zip cord for speaker audio. The accessory connector on the rear jack of the XTL5K is only 6 inches long. I am asking if Motorola makes a simple 2 wire zip cord, roughly 17 feet long, with appropriately matched mating Molex connectors on each end. This way, I can connect this zip cord speaker wire (with a Molex connector on each end) to the XTL5K accessory stub grey speaker lead zip wire in the trunk (6 inch long accessory speaker pigtail), and then connect the other end to the speaker up front in the cabin, less than 17 feet distant.

The point is: I don't want to run a hugely fat gigantic fire hose, when all I really need is a 17 foot piece of 2 wire zip cord, with appropriate mating Molex connectors on each end.

I know I could make this cable up quite easily, but I'm just wondering if mother M has a part number for a cable already made up. I have a ton of these XTL5K w/ HHCH 03's to do, so it would save me a lot of labor. Yes, I know M will charge a lot for this simple speaker wire with Molex connectors, but it would save me time, which is money saved.

Thanks, in advance, for any help on this!
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Post by PhillyPhoto »

I hate digging up posts, but I couldn't find anything for the cable. I only need about a foot to a foot and a half extension. It also seems like Motorola uses an uncommon 2-pin molex connector. Does anyone know of anything that fits the bill or a workaround?
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

No, they don't make one. We've had some fabricated in the past for other reasons and have been happy with the outcome. M's molex connectors and pins/plugs are available from M Parts.

I think what confused readers is your configuration. Trunk-mounted XTL5000 in the O-3 config, but only running a speaker up front, not the O-3 controller. Okayyyyy. Yes, the control cable is a bit thicker than the standard O/M series, but it is what it is.. a control cable...a sometimes anoying control cable.

Just out of curiosity, where goeth the O-3 controller in your install? I'm guessing controlling the up-front speaker volume wasn't going to be an issue.

Always like to hear other folks' configs. I learn something new every day.

Semper Batlabs!
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Sorry, this was my error. I mistakenly thought Motorola made a 17 ft. mic GCAI extension cable (thin, like the control cable from the XTL/APX radio to the 05 CH, but terminating with a female GCAI connector for accepting the mic in the cabin), that had no other connectors or cables. Found out that to extend the 03 HHCH you must use the big fat cable. The 09 CH does have an optional thin extension cable, such as I suggest, increasing the distance between the rear of the 09 CH and the mic, but it is only 2 feet long (extension cable, w/ male GCAI on one end, female GCAI on other end, PMKN4093A, $30), so it wouldn't do me much good. I would need at least a 10 footer.
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL

Post by PhillyPhoto »

JeffFireRadio wrote:No, they don't make one. We've had some fabricated in the past for other reasons and have been happy with the outcome. M's molex connectors and pins/plugs are available from M Parts.
I'll have to look into this then I guess.

I have the O3 extension cable, and I don't mind that it doesn't have the speaker plug in it. I just wish they made speaker extensions easier to find.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Late reply, but y'all do know that you can use the rear accessory connector on low and mid-power units for speaker and ignition sense, right? The only radio that absolutely needs the big accessory extension cable is a 110W drawer.

The 2-pin speaker plugs are AMP A444 (male) and A446 (female.) Mouser and Digi-Key do not stock them, but Whelen does - their light heads use the same exact connector.
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL

Post by PhillyPhoto »

motorola_otaku wrote:Late reply, but y'all do know that you can use the rear accessory connector on low and mid-power units for speaker and ignition sense, right? The only radio that absolutely needs the big accessory extension cable is a 110W drawer.

The 2-pin speaker plugs are AMP A444 (male) and A446 (female.) Mouser and Digi-Key do not stock them, but Whelen does - their light heads use the same exact connector.
I'm using the rear connector because I have the O3 head.

I found the AMP A444 here, and the AMP A446 here. Interestingly, neither place has both.
jpa

Post by jpa »

motorola_otaku wrote:The 2-pin speaker plugs are AMP A444 (male) and A446 (female.) Mouser and Digi-Key do not stock them, but Whelen does - their light heads use the same exact connector.
Digikey does, if you don't mind getting your cap in black (they appear to be out of the natural nylon at the moment):

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... rds=480318
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... rds=480319
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... s=A1423-ND
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... s=A1422-ND
uman18
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, XTL5000 UHF/VHF

Post by uman18 »

I have both pins and both connectors. PM me if you need some.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”