Accessory screw replacement part?

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

buckydgoat
New User

Accessory screw replacement part?

Post by buckydgoat »

Hello everyone,
I'm looking to repair this screw hole. There is a spring inside the hole and the plastic piece that covers it that are both broken that I want to replace. IMO its a crazy weird design to put a spring inside a threaded hole to begin with, but I can't find a replacement part anywhere, if there even is one. I thought if anyone would know where to get the parts its the brain-trust here. This is a hobby radio (ALT), not anything critical so I'm on my own for coming up with a fix if there are no replacement parts out there. If anyone can help, I would love to use my accessories again.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Accessory screw replacement part?

Post by Wowbagger »

Are you sure that's a spring, and not a helicoil (http://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.c ... /heli-coil) , used to repair a tapped hole that has had its threads stripped out?
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
buckydgoat
New User

Post by buckydgoat »

You're right, I couldn't think of the correct name of it. Thanks. Just wondering if that is how all APXs' are or if mine was "repaired" that way. Also is there a replacement black plastic cover part that could be purchased, since this one is chewed up.
buckydgoat
New User

Post by buckydgoat »

Never mind, I found the part number and ordered it. In case anyone needs it in the future the part# is 3875126H01.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Chassis Boss, $1.98 on my MOL account.
Seems to be an issue with these cracking, mainly from people over torquing down their accessories/programming cables. To prevent this from happening in the future, HAND TIGHT means just that...not an air wrench. I know you did not do it, but really frosts my butt the bonhead things people do to radios.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Has anyone thought about putting just a very small amount of an anti seize compound on the screw threads? This will prevent it from galling and in general being tough to unscrew. Another compound to use is Pentrox. It is used for electrical connections and keeps them from corroding. But it does make for a good anti seize compound also. Just remember, just a little goes a long way.
buckydgoat
New User

Post by buckydgoat »

Thread replacement kit came today and I was able to successfully repair it. If anyone runs into this problem I would be more than happy to sell the kit out to you at a deep discount. It comes with 15 new coils and all the tools to install it. Hopefully I will need just the one coil. Radio is like new again!

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”