Input wanted on wiring for upcoming install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sglass
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

Input wanted on wiring for upcoming install

Post by sglass »

victim 92 blazer

oh so my idea is to have a 2 buses

one constant power (right off the battery)

one ignition switched

I'll just ground each radio to the body at the closest point to where I mount it.

Radios

110 watt low band maratrac
kenwood dual band ham rig
mt1000 convertacom
220 mobile
and now I am on a slight remote mount spectra kick (this may fade with time)

any foreseeable problems with having a block up from for power and ignition with the same in the rear?
gws
Batboard $upporter

Post by gws »

Power should come directly off the battery, not from the chassie. I know 2 batteries in my 92 blazer was a pain. NO place for the second battery unless you use the optima for odd angle mounting.
Gary N8EMR
sglass
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

grounding

Post by sglass »

oh yeah, definetly for the positive

I have always used a body ground though, why wouldn't I?
vcaruso
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by vcaruso »

gws,

I was toying with the idea of installing a second battery in my van (I have the room under the hood) how exactly would I set it up?

would I need an isolator between the main and auxilary battery?
jim

Post by jim »

A chassis ground will work just fine. Don't fall for the old wives' tale about having to run a ground to the battery. Just ensure the battery-to-chassis cable is large enough.

Go to a good auto parts store and pick up a Borg-Warner solonoid # S55. Run a FUSED (at battery) #8 cable (or larger, if needed) from the fuseholder to the equipment location and mount the solonoid here. The battery lead goes to one large lug of the solonoid. Connect the small sol. lead to a switched key-on power source via 5A fuse. You now have continuous AND switched hi-current feed at the equipment location. One large terminal is hot and the other is switched- at one location.

There usually isn't a need for a second battery, unless you will be Xmitting with the engine off for extended periods of time. I leave 2 CDMs and a scanner on for 3 days and my Cherokee starts just fine.

If you are worried about battery drainage, use a ChargeGard unit.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I guess putting the solenoid INSIDE the vehicles would save the hassle of pulling two hot wires into the vehicle. Though, this is assuming you have a nice open area to put this, like in a console or something.

That Borg relay... Is the continuous duty high amp relay? How many amps is it rated for?
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Is that Borg unit a silver canister with 2 big terminals and 2 little terminals?

If so, our state fleet has something similar, with a diode across the "switch" leads.....any reason for that?
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
N2ZPY

Relay source

Post by N2ZPY »

Check out http://www.allelectronics.com . They have a continuous duty relay rated 80 Amps for $7.50. They also carry all kinds of other interesting stuff.

Kevin
perthcom

Post by perthcom »

The diode across the switched lead is to bypass the inductive kick when the power to the soleniod coil is cut off. Otherwise this surge voltage could be quite high and damage some electronics. If you look across most relay coils in electronic circuits you will see a diode for this purpose.
8)
jim

Post by jim »

The S55 is a continuous duty solenoid.

I looked at the piece from allelectronics.com and don't know how good of quality this is. It looks the same, however. for $7.50, I'd try it. Yes- you can install the diode for protection. I use a 5A fuse on all installations for the field terminal.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”