Controlling a Transcypt station via Centracom II via wirelin

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Controlling a Transcypt station via Centracom II via wirelin

Post by Pj »

Ok, here is the delima, maybe we can get some new ideas here (we are kind of stumped).

We will be converting our Centracom II console to Gold Elite this budget year, so keep that in mind...

Right now, our FD repeater is sitting in out parking lot. There is no direct conncetion from our console to this repeater (MSF5000). There is a control station upstairs (belived to be an older Motorola radio with the transcypt module in that) that is hooked up to our console via the CEB (we hope). Anytime we xmit on the FD channel, the control station in the FD xmits to the repeater in the parking lot.

This normally wouldn't be a big deal, but they were told that because of the secure module, you cannot wireline the radio. Becuase of this setup, the dispatcher is freqently front clipped when talking to the FD.

Any ideas? Can the transcypt module be directly interfaced to the MSF5000 and wirelined? Either way, the FD wants their encyption.

As soon as I get them from the FD, I'll post any model numbers that I can.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I don't have any specific answers but I know that I've seen the high end 480 modules and they have a wireline control line. I don't know how exactly it works but they mention it being used in just the fashion you mention. I would think it would be possible. What module model is it?

mancow
Pj

Post by Pj »

Ok, the base radio that is transmitting to the tower is a Desktrac with a model number of L53SUM70D0B. Right now the console in the disp center can switch between coded/clear with a push of a button.

The FD guy doesn't know what module is in the Desktrac. He said that Transcrpyt won't tell them for security concerns...
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Security concerns........... :-?

I've called and received data sheets, install directions etc. That seems odd to me that they wouldn't tell him. Without that info I don't know what else you can do.

mancow
Pj

Post by Pj »

I guess the thing is that they don't want to tell people from the FD what module they have so that anyone else can buy the same module and listen in. I don't think they anything too advanced...
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I can see them being cautious but if it's any sort of rolling code system, buying a module won't get anyone anywhere. I had a board compatible with our PD for a year. It didn't do me any good until I got the authorization to have it keyloaded. From what I saw it's a software generated key 20 characters in length in 5 groups of 4.

If they are using the fixed point inversion then I really don't see what Transcrypt's concern is. A simple soundcard program will decode that.

Surely, an agency letterhead request would yield what they want to know.

mancow

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”