R20xx series service monitors

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Andy Corbin

R20xx series service monitors

Post by Andy Corbin »

A few months ago, a ham friend of mine passed away. He had a fairly large estate of radio and electronic equipment that included some test gear. His wife called me and asked my assistance in pricing and selling his equipment.
One of the pieces of equipment is a Motorola R2008C service monitor. Looks to be in fairly good cosmetic shape. CRT is bright and clear. No burn in etc. All functions seem to work and my guess is, this was a bench queen most, if not all its life. (He bought it used). I know there are various models of the R20XX series of monitors. Is there a place or way I can determine what sort of features this unit has? I took it to the Richmond, VA. Frostfest yesterday and had a fellow tell me it would do trunking and cellular. I am not sure. Any suggestions of a fair price? I was asking $1200 for it. Too high? Too low? I did turn it on to check functionality. Spectrum analyzer worked, receive and generate worked. Deviation and frequency error seemed OK.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: R20xx series service monitors

Post by DJP126 »

Andy Corbin wrote: One of the pieces of equipment is a Motorola R2008C service monitor. Looks to be in fairly good cosmetic shape. CRT is bright and clear. No burn in etc. All functions seem to work and my guess is, this was a bench queen most, if not all its life. (He bought it used). I know there are various models of the R20XX series of monitors. Is there a place or way I can determine what sort of features this unit has? I took it to the Richmond, VA. Frostfest yesterday and had a fellow tell me it would do trunking and cellular. I am not sure. Any suggestions of a fair price? I was asking $1200 for it. Too high? Too low? I did turn it on to check functionality. Spectrum analyzer worked, receive and generate worked. Deviation and frequency error seemed OK.
The R2008C was the first piece of test equipment made to test the old analog cellular systems. Basically, it is an R2001C with the cellular option added. If the model # has a /HS at the end, then it has the high stability oscillator added. I'm not really up on used equipment pricing anymore, but I think you might get at least $2000 for it.
Dave
jry

Re: R20xx series service monitors

Post by jry »

If you look on Ebay you will see them listed frequently.
$2000.00 for a C version is not the current price ....less than $1000 and more like $800.00 depending on condition , accessories and the level of functionality that has been verified. Anything is possible though.
Would list it as a 2001C since the analog cell functionality has just about zero value ...make sure you note the 2008C model though.
Make sure you note the HS option ...should have it ...most of that version seemed to have had it installed.
A nice 2008D went for around $450.00 ( plus shipping ) recently

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”