MDC1200 on Centracom Gold Elite

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jay911

MDC1200 on Centracom Gold Elite

Post by Jay911 »

Hey all, sorry for the noobish question.

I'd like to have my dispatch center recognize both our portable/mobile radio IDs and emergency button activations that we're doing with MDC1200 signaling. The center is using Centracom Gold Elite - I don't know what version specifically off the top of my head, but it was updated in the spring.

I made some inquiries a few years ago about this to the center's management and IIRC the response was that they'd have to purchase and swap out some boards in order to accommodate MDC. I'm presuming this referenced the BIM card for our radio channel. My question is - is that really the case, that actual hardware needs to be swapped out to support MDC? Seems like in this day and age (at least IMO) it would be a software option just as it is in the radios themselves.

Thanks in advance.
--j.
d119

Re: MDC1200 on Centracom Gold Elite

Post by d119 »

Nothing needs to be "swapped out", things need to be added.

You need an AUX I card to go above the BIM that you want to be signaling capable. You then need a ribbon cable to go from that AUX I card to an MDC Modem card. The MDC modem is it's own CEB card. It's full size, and occupies a card slot (though it doesn't actually have to be in a slot, as it gets it's power and does it's communicating over the ribbon cable).

The resource in the CEB (BIM) is then deleted in the Console Database Manager (CDM), and re-added as a Stat-Alert Signaling BIM. This enables the MDC features.

The Alias Database Manager (ADM) then allows you to alias MDC ID's to alphanumeric names.
turtle9832

Post by turtle9832 »

d119 helped me on this same topic.

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=90784

M shop quoted $2,500.00

I did it myself in 3 hours.

found the board bln1196 on publicsurplus.com for $30.00.

the card is becoming more difficult to find.

keep your eyes open for psaps changing/upgrading to mcc7500's in your area. they will probably auction their centracom's or toss them.
Jay911

Post by Jay911 »

Thanks much - looking into it now.
--j.
d119

Post by d119 »

Let us know if you need any more help.
webby52
What radios do you own?: HT1250, XTS2500, APX6500

Post by webby52 »

I am attempting to install two BLN1196A modems onto existing B1840A boards in the CEB. I have the BLN6664B boards already. I have two questions...one when I install the boards do I need to shut the CEB down or can the boards be installed "hot". (I asked my M vendor, he had no clue- so much for asking him to install) Second, there are two boards in the CEB which already have MDC capability, but those boards are BLN1824A. What is the difference between the boards? Can the BLN1840A's decode the MDC? "(oops thats 3 questions!)
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

1: You do not have to shut the CEB down. They are hot swappable. Just make sure the 6 I/O is set-up as an AUX1 configuration. (Jumpers, etc)

2&3: The B1840 equates to "Conventional Non-Signalling Resource" comprising of a BLN6654 BIM. B1824 equates to "Conventional MDC Signalling Resource" comprising of all the parts needed for that (BLN6654, BLN1196, BLN6664) The BIM you have (BLN6654) is the same for each. For Gold Elite, they must be version D (BLN6654D) or later to work. Matching firmware would be a plus too, but anything after 1998 should be current enough for most everything.

4: Lastly, once you have the modem ready to go, you must upload the modem image with TDM into the modem. MUPL-ing as it's called. Use the image created by an export from CDM to get the modem to "marry" with the BIM.

Hope that helps...

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
webby52
What radios do you own?: HT1250, XTS2500, APX6500

Post by webby52 »

Thanks for the info. Finally got my dealer to come out and install new radio. While he was there I added the BLN6654 to the upper cage, and MDC boards connected with the ribbon cable. When I plug them together, there is no green light on the board. (either one of the 2) When I plug in a BLN6654 that was laying around the bottom of the CEB, the green light comes on steady and I get a slow red blinking light. There is a yellow exclaimation icon on both channels. I'm kinda at a loss, and my vendor called mother M, but without a service contract its $250 an hour. (ouch) I read thru the setup in the books I have but I am not sure what the setup for AUX 1 is. I cut about 8 or 9 jumpers off the board as to make it the same as the other boards that do MDC on two other channels in the console. These two aux cards where in the spare parts box in the radio room, assumed to be brand new. Any ideas?

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”