Astro Saber battery contact fix?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JRUTA
What radios do you own?: APX6k Visar

Astro Saber battery contact fix?

Post by JRUTA »

Hello all,
Is there anyway to adjust the gold battery contacts on the radio as to make a tighter connection with the battery? Recently my radio has been resetting itself, and I'm sure its because the battery contacts. I'm using a Cutrate aftermarket battery, which has been great. I never take the battery off the radio, so I dont think anything is worn out. I also tried cleaning the contacts- to no avail. I was going to try and bend the contacts, but feared I'd snap one off.

Thanks, John
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Astro Saber battery contact fix?

Post by FireCpt809 »

There is not much ajustment other than slightly bending the contacts with a small jewlers screwdriver. The main problem is the cheap battery. Their contacts are sometimes recessed just a little deeper than the OEM and thats where the problem lies. Also they use less than optimal material for the contacts.
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Thanks, I'm going to try that.
John
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

FireCpt809 wrote:There is not much ajustment other than slightly bending the contacts with a small jewlers screwdriver. The main problem is the cheap battery. Their contacts are sometimes recessed just a little deeper than the OEM and thats where the problem lies. Also they use less than optimal material for the contacts.
I too have found this with some of the non OEM batteries. Others seem to be as good as OEM. GARY
Will

Post by Will »

There is a silicon/salastic insert under the battery contact on the radio. It may be missing or lost it's spring.
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Ah, could be that also. I'm going to gently pry up on the contacts to see if that works. I don't have any OEM batteries to test it with, but honestly I love the Cuterate short lithium one. Seems to work great other than the occasional reset. Thanks all
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Post by WV8VFD »

I've ran into this too when I use my cutrate li-on. If I use an OEM battery, the switch to the cutrate I'll have to gently and barely bend out on the contacts, key word being barely. After that it is fine for any length of time (Have had it on my VHF for over a year now. But the minute I switch to an OEM even if for a minute and switch back, it will do the same as yours. Love the cutrate batteries. They can't be beat for the price.
Tyler Lewis
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Yup, i really love that battery- i tried bending out the contacts and it seems to be working so far.
uman18
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, XTL5000 UHF/VHF

Post by uman18 »

I have several bottoms complete I took off some Sabers. If anyone needs replacements.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

There should be enough room underneath the contacts on the radio to fit a very small metal
washer under the contacts. I've worked on the Saber battery plates and I hate doing so because
of the very small parts etc., and for contact problems I've bent contacts, but raising the contact
a very small amount would probably be a better fix.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Thanks to all. I bent them (pryed them up) gently, and have not had another reset since. Seems ok.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”