What can make an Astro Saber blow a fuse?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KF5LSC
What radios do you own?: APX7000 / small fleet of XTS5K

What can make an Astro Saber blow a fuse?

Post by KF5LSC »

My AS III had given me a new problem- I went to power it on yesterday and it was dead as a doornail. I disassembled it (thanks Batdude for the awesome guide) and with the service manual I was able to find the problem- a blown SMD fuse on the RF board.

I don't have the skill to replace SMD components, so I am going to let a radio shop handle the fuse replacement. However, I'm curious as to what would make a fuse blow. They don't blow randomly, and nothing of note happened since the last time I used it. I got home from work, turned radio off, and put it in the charger like always. I'm just curious if this could be indicative of a larger problem or if it was truly just a random wtf incident.

Ideas?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: What can make an Astro Saber blow a fuse?

Post by escomm »

" What can make an Astro Saber blow a fuse? "

Too much current

Sorry

Couldn't help myself
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

KF5LSC wrote:My AS III had given me a new problem- I went to power it on yesterday and it was dead as a doornail. I disassembled it (thanks Batdude for the awesome guide) and with the service manual I was able to find the problem- a blown SMD fuse on the RF board.

I don't have the skill to replace SMD components, so I am going to let a radio shop handle the fuse replacement. However, I'm curious as to what would make a fuse blow. They don't blow randomly, and nothing of note happened since the last time I used it. I got home from work, turned radio off, and put it in the charger like always. I'm just curious if this could be indicative of a larger problem or if it was truly just a random wtf incident.

Ideas?

I have seen this happen on various portables occaisionally when the battery of the portable has a bad cell/s
and would cause a larger then normal current draw if the user left the radio turned on as soon as the charger
started up a charge cycle.
fineshot1
NJ USA
KF5LSC

Post by KF5LSC »

escomm wrote:" What can make an Astro Saber blow a fuse? "

Too much current

Sorry

Couldn't help myself
Haha. Besides that. Thanks for the giggle :lol:

Well, does anybody on here have an extra 6505757V02, Fuse, SMD, 2 amp laying around? The local MSS couldn't help me because their inventory lady was "out on leave," although the tech did say that he could replace the fuse with a small piece of wire (!!!). And this is a shop that has all the 3 and 4 letter agency contracts in the county....go figure. *facepalm*
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

KF5LSC wrote:
escomm wrote:" What can make an Astro Saber blow a fuse? "

Too much current

Sorry

Couldn't help myself
Haha. Besides that. Thanks for the giggle :lol:

Well, does anybody on here have an extra 6505757V02, Fuse, SMD, 2 amp laying around? The local MSS couldn't help me because their inventory lady was "out on leave," although the tech did say that he could replace the fuse with a small piece of wire (!!!). And this is a shop that has all the 3 and 4 letter agency contracts in the county....go figure. *facepalm*
I can fix it for you if you want to pay the shipping both ways.... PM me.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by KF5LSC »

@ Spectragod:

PM sent.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”