CDM 1550LS

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WalrusP
New User

CDM 1550LS

Post by WalrusP »

I bought a Motorola CDM-1550LS on ebay and I just got today to use as a gmrs radio. What does the LS mean ?
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Re: CDM 1550LS

Post by SteveC0625 »

WalrusP wrote:I bought a Motorola CDM-1550LS on ebay and I just got today to use as a gmrs radio. What does the LS mean ?
What is the model number of the radio?
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

LS radios are capable of LTR trunking but as Steve hinted at, there are variations in what the LS radios can do conventionally so knowing how to decode the model number will tell you what you can do with it, exactly.
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

KG4INW wrote:LS radios are capable of LTR trunking but as Steve hinted at, there are variations in what the LS radios can do conventionally so knowing how to decode the model number will tell you what you can do with it, exactly.
There's also PassPort capability in some models plus the ever dreaded 16 vs 160 conventional channels option that sucks in a lot of unsuspecting buyers. Most buyers of CDM1550's in the online world seem to be looking for the larger capacity radios for use on ham or GMRS or similar. The 16 conventional channel models are often offered at bargain prices and for good reason.

When I started working with these radios, the very first thing I did was find myself a model number chart. It was the one over on batlabs, and while it was a good starting place, I was better off when I got my hands on a service manual that contained a more up to date model number chart.

But I digress a bit. Still hoping the OP will give us the model number so we can explain exactly what its capabilities are for him.
giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Post by giguchan »

I know a load of people who thought that they were getting that very same "bargain". That model number chart can prevent you from making a big mistake before you slide your CC. And while I am at it... I believe being able to decode when portable batteries were manufactured is a good thing to have too.
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
WalrusP
New User

Post by WalrusP »

Thank you for the responses I can get the model number for you tomorrow but I am a Sucker ! It is a 16 channel model
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

I don't know if you wanted a 16 ch or not I would not call you a sucker.. you Might not have known is all... Maybe 16 channels WILL work for you.... When I first started getting into Moto gear sure, I wanted the 160 channels. Why? because I actually thought I could fill up that many spaces.I Never came close. With people closing down Machines, relocating, and making machines private, I think I have less than 30 spots used- and that is because I am too lazy to have a programing session to "blank" out a personality. I have ONE machine that has different locations so I have different personality's... The machine can "votes" but I also have the radio set up manually.

best of luck!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
WalrusP
New User

Post by WalrusP »

I understand, I bought this basically as a prepper radio for frs and gmrs ( I know, I know, Please no hate mail.) So it is only going to be used in bad situations ( emergencies) but it would have been nice to be able to program them all in. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Damn 16 Channels ( If anyone has any Ocean front property in Arizona that wants to sell me, please msg me) lol
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

WalrusP wrote:I understand, I bought this basically as a prepper radio for frs and gmrs ( I know, I know, Please no hate mail.) So it is only going to be used in bad situations ( emergencies) but it would have been nice to be able to program them all in. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Damn 16 Channels ( If anyone has any Ocean front property in Arizona that wants to sell me, please msg me) lol
You can always resell it on EBay, some people need the LS feature so it may not be a loss. There's also the similar CDM1250 that has 64 Ch.
WalrusP
New User

Post by WalrusP »

I may do that. Thanks
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

I look at it this way.... you wont be the first person to RE sell a radio... there is someone out there who IS looking for what you have.
Best of luck.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Post by nukedude »

Two 16 channels versions here as well. But I bought them knowing that, they allowed me to upgrade an older GR300 repeater. It had the old 130, 2 channel radios in it that were not narrow-band capable. In my case, 16 channels and a bargain price were the reason I bought them. However, the seller was very careful about answering questions about channel capacity. So knowing the models and having the chart is very smart.

This is true with all Motorola equipment. I almost got burned on some MW520 mobile data terminals many years back, but researched a little more before spending the money. Then I bought the exact model I wanted.
WalrusP
New User

Post by WalrusP »

Thank You, I will defiantly research from now on. All the help given so far has been greatly appreciated, God Bless All

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”