RSSI on ASTRO Conventional Radios

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

RSSI on ASTRO Conventional Radios

Post by ASTROMODAT »

In the digital voice mode, how does one go about discerning if they are making it into the Quantar repeater, since there is no repeater carrier hang time in the digital voice mode?

In the old analog FM days, you keyed your mobile mic, and then listened to your speaker to roughly determine if you were at least hitting/bringing up the repeater. But, in the digital voice mode, keying up and releasing the mobile mic tells you nothing, so you have no way to know if you are right on top of the repeater versus you are not making it at all versus no one is listening/responding to you.

So, why don't they have RSSI on conventional ASTRO radios like you have on a cell phone? (I'm referring to conventional P25 operations, such as CAI IMBE through a conventional ASTRO Quantar repeater with ASTRO P and M radios.)

Larry
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

I would be keen to get the funky little Signal meter happening on the screen which displays when you power up.
similar to the Ht 1250 type series where your rx signal strength is diplayed in a bar graph,
XDCLabs.COM

Post by XDCLabs.COM »

The RSSI feature is available on "newer" firmware, but I think there was an issue as to how to display it. If you check the Astro (specially Saber) display, there is no indicator that could be used for signal strength. I believe these indicators are available on the newer XTSs.

I did publish an invention a few years ago (wasn't worth filing) that would indicate to a radio user whether his transmission was repeated through the system and the "quality" of the transmission using BER values. I don't believe any radio vendor has done anything about it.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

I thought there was something like "Digital Audio Functions" F4/F3/F2/F4 I think that did something like that?

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”