MTR2000 Power Amp

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

bnice

MTR2000 Power Amp

Post by bnice »

I have an MTR2000 VHF repeater, 150-174 MHz bandsplit. How difficult (expensive) would it be to replace the power amp with the TTD1791 model, 132-154 MHz, for ham band use?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

It's not difficult at all. You simply replace the power amp, and tell the repeater what module you are now using in the RSS. You also have to enter in a series of hex codes, which are labeled on the front of the amp. As far as expensive...yeah it is. Unless you can purchase one used somewhere. Actually, I think we have 2 left over from an upgrade a couple of years ago. They are the 40-watt units, I believe. Interested?

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
bnice

Post by bnice »

If you have a 100W unit, yes. Would realignment or other retuning be required if the power amp is changed?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I definitely don't have 100W PA's, that's what these units were swapped out for. I'm just not sure whether or not they are 30 or 40 Watt PA's. There is no alignment involved when you swap them out, that's why you have to enter the hex values I mentioned. They 'calibrate' the MTR2000 for the proper power output.

Here's a tip: Have a look at the back of your MTR2000. There is a set of jumper wires which connect the Power Supply & Power Amp modules. The high powered PA's require 6 wires, the low power only use 4. Depending on the year of your repeater, you may only have the 4-wire assembly. Later on, they all came with the 6-wire assembly, to accomodate easy upgrading. The part number for the 6-wire assembly is 3082728X11, if you don't have it. The other option is to add the two wires yourself. Your local electronics store might have the correct pins for the connector. I lucked out, the exact same pins were used in Audiovox mobile power cables.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”