station master ground plane element length

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

station master ground plane element length

Post by batdude »

i finally found some decent aluminum to make the ground planes for my station master...

i assume that there are three ground planes required... anyone know the length (1/4 wave?)

doug
radiomidwest

lenght

Post by radiomidwest »

I don't know if the length is that critical (at least 1/4w+10%) as much as the angle at which they are installed.
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

typical designs are 1/4 wave radials, drooped about 45ish degrees will give you a better pattern out on the horizon.

If it were me, id put four radials on it, if possible.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Radials...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

If the radials are at a right angle to the antenna then you probably will not have a 50 ohm resistive match. If you bend the radials downward you'll reach a point where you have a 50-ohm match.

However, I've observed that gain verticals always have really short radials, and I don't understand the theory which governs this.

You might also be able to get the data you need from a website of the manufacturer on a Google search.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

You can buy a brand new and complete OEM ground plane kit from the manufacturer (now RFS, used to be Cellwave) for next to nothing. Why fight it?

Larry
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
I am under the impression that this is a stacked co-linear antenna, and the "radials" are intended to de-couple the antenna from the supporting structure.
Most useful for increasing isolation of antennas on a tower.
If this is to be an antenna solo on a roof or tower I don't think that it makes much difference wether they are there or not.
Aloha, Bernie
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

thanks for the replies

Post by batdude »

this antenna is now in service on a highly populated cell site doing just fine.

i see about 1w reflected pwr at 75w forward...

so i am going to leave it alone for a looooong time.

doug
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

For comparison, I have a stock, two-year-old super station-master antenna on my repeater, built for 440-450 MHz, transmitting on 444.450. It's side-mounted (maybe 5 feet off the tower), is connected with 6 feet of Cellwave 1/2 inch SuperFlex coax, has an anti-sway support holding the top, is mounted about 400 feet up on a 600 foot tall tower, and is being fed with about 550 feet of Cellwave's 7/8 hardline. I'm using N connectors throughout. With a Bird 43 wattmeter and CDI elements at the repeater end of the coax, the last readings I took showed 68 watts forward on a 100w element, and about 1/2 of the first minor division on a 5w element for reflected power. That would be less than 1/10 watt, if you can even trust the meter to be at all accurate down there. It's barely enough to move the meter pointer, but it does move.

I wasn't around when the antenna was installed, so I don't know how well it was assembled by the tower crew, but I'll accept those readings any time ! I agree with your intent to leave yours alone !

Bob M.
Will

Post by Will »

The true Station Masters, the earlier ones have three straight 1/4 wave radials aprox. 1/2" below the top of the alumimum support housing. The later ones use three 1/4 radials, but at a -45 degree angle, flat side to the support tube held by a radiator hose clamp.

Made by Phelps Dodge, then Cellwave, now Radio Frequency Systems.

DB Products makes a simmular looking fiberglass antenna that does not have any radials.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”