Need some help with Centracom Gold Elite

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N9LLO

Need some help with Centracom Gold Elite

Post by N9LLO »

Heres what I got...

10 channel 900 mhz system with 4 Centracom Gold Elite consoles for the plant wide communications system (about 700 portables). Owned wireline
connection to dispatch wih extra pairs.

Tone remote analog MSF5000 UHF repeater for plant security, same transmitter location as the 900 system. Different dispatch locaton.

Security handheld radios are owned by security contractor, no chance of them upgrading to trunked portables anytime soon.

Heres what I want to do....

There is a need to have some individuals with trunked handhelds communicate with the security, I need a trunked talkgroup patched into the completly seperate UHF system. Where do I start?

Chris N9LLO
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I believe the "cheap" way to acheiving this would be to do a x-band repeater - have a maxtrac programmed up on a talkgroup with a UHF one.

This will create a patch for you, except you won't get any feedback if it's working or not. For the most part, I don't think you'd have too many problems. If you want, even consider putting the maxtrac on a different PL, and running MPL on the MSF (if possible). That way all the security traffic isn't transmitted, only the traffic that needs to be.

THat's probably the el cheapo way. The other way I can think of would be to put a link up on the centracom using the software to "patch" which I think would account for errors and such.

I'm not 100% sure, but that should get you started.

-Alex
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

why not just create a talkgroup on the trunked system for the patch and set up a permanent patch at the console from the 900 MHz repeater to the 900 Trunked system patch talkgroup?

This way there is no user intervention and the dispatchers can listen/talk if necessary.

George
xmo

Post by xmo »

Console patch is a great solution, but there are a couple of issues to look at here.

The original post said the MSF5000 is tone remote and has a different dispatch location. It was not clear whether or not it is also connected to the Centracom CEB. If it is, the patch could be made at one of the Elite ops [operator initiated].

If it is not currently connected to the CEB there would have to be an available spare Base Interface Module [BIM] or a new BIM would have to be added. It would be advantageous to program this channel for hardware COR and connect that to the MSF5000 carrier indicate [available on the station accessory connector] That will avoid keyup delays due to the console waiting for voice activity.

Console patch has one advantage over a 'linker' in that there will not be a channel assigned on the trunked system unless there is at least one trunked radio affilliated with the patched talkgroup. A linker contains a trunked radio which will be affiliated and thus all the UHF traffic will simultaneously assign a trunked channel.

Whether or not that is an issue depends on how you intend to use the linked talkgroup.

The "permanent patch" has the advantage of not requiring operator involvement, but permanent patch cannot be programmed into an Elite operator position, only into Gold Classic positions. If all the existing positions are Elite, a "virtual" classic position can be created by installing just a COIM with no physical operator position. The virtual op can then support one or more permanent patches.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

With VORTEX-2, hopefully this all becomes a bad memory. What was that thing called "Analog?"

Larry
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

Lets look at the hardware requirements first so I can get that straight.
Does the analog MSF support two remote control lines? I seem to remember the digital capable MSF I put on 2m would do that. If so I need a tone control BIM in my CEB and a pair up to the MSF to get it on the
centracom system correct?

Programming.
I need to add a conventional resource to the Centracom Elite consoles. I need to add a talkgroup to the system and the elite screen that i am going to use with this patch. program the user radios with talkgroup.

I really havn't messed with this much since it was put in 3 years ago so I
have a lot ofexperiance with it.
xmo

Post by xmo »

"Does the analog MSF support two remote control lines? "

It doesn't need to. You connect the console in parallel with the existing control point. There are jumpers in all remote control units [and on the Centracom BIM] to determine whether or not the device terminates the line. Only one device should terminate the line [usually the device most distant from the source.

Parallel control will allow your dispatch to hear what the security dispatch says and visa-versa.

If necessary to meet administrative or license requirements the secondary control point can be connected to a supervisory takeover switch at the primary control point.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

With the parrallel tone remotes, you can also use the intercom feature to talk from console to console without going over the air.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”