Quantar phone patch

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Quantar phone patch

Post by batdude »

ok...

i have a mixed mode quantar... both types of users.

can i run a strictly analog-only phone patch?

?

doug
xmo

Post by xmo »

I assume that you are NOT intending to connect wireline control to your mixed mode Quantar. That would require a DIU - which has a phone patch port.

You can connect 'stuff' [controllers, phone patches, etc] directly to the Quantar. Refer to a station instruction manual [e.g. 68P81095E05]. You will find a tab marked "System Applications" Then look for the section marked :"Input/Output Specifications For External Controllers"

Your station MUST have wildcard capability - this means it must have a wireline interface board and new enough firmware.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

hmmm

Post by batdude »

my firmware on the wireline is 20.xx.xx

what i guess i am trying to ask is --- if i do hook up the patch, using the instructions in the manual (one of the best they've written IMHO)...

will i LOSE astro repeat functionality?

if this means that i have to program the unit as a base station and/or conventional only operation ( no mixed mode ) then screw it --- not worth it to me

?

doug
xmo

Post by xmo »

I think you are just going to have to experiment here. You would think everything should work OK.

Start by verifying the local interface functions. Leave the wildcard setup as default initially. When the station is receiving analog audio make sure you get RX audio on the RX line. Then make sure you are getting COR and that PTT works. Verify you can modulate the transmitter from the TX line.

Then enable wildcard. The book says by doing that you blow away all the predetermined functions so you will have to re-establish the ones you just tested. Then add one more input for repeater knockdown.

That way your patch can ride the RX audio, detect the patch initiate DTMF command etc. When the patch is active have it assert a signal on the repeat knockdown line you created. That way the repeat audio path will be through the patch during phone calls.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

You can only make the patch, and/or controller functions, work in the analog mode, unless you get a DIU. What's going to happen if someone comes in via the ASTRO mode, and yet you have an analog controller hung off the Quantar? It certainly can't route digital through an analog controller! Who knows what the heck will happen if you try to shove ASTRO through an analog controller, and/or patch.

BTW, with the DIU, you can program it for the auto track mode where it will transmit in mixed mode based on the input signal. That's how we set up our MRTI 2000, and then we replaced it with the SCOM 7K controller. It switches between FM and IMBE automatically, since it is hung off the DIU MRTI port.

One thing you find with a Quant is that if you want to play all of its various games and run its various bells and whisles, eventually you will wind up demanding a DIU, even if you hang it on the repeater without the remote wireline control. Don't forget that ASTRO DIU that went for $43 on eBay (albeit, it did not have the ASTRO modem, and I think it was VSELP. They have jacked up the DIU firmware to where it now costs $700 to uplift to IMBE, even from VSELP. It used to be only $200. No more.).

Larry

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”