Narrow band on sabers and spectras?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Narrow band on sabers and spectras?

Post by nmfire10 »

Will Saber's do narrow band? Our PD uses all saber portables and we want to get our new UHF fire channels in them. All our new channels are narrow band though. I'm not overly worried about it, but I want to be ready for it.

They also have some syntor X9000 and spectra mobiles. I assume the X9000 is wideband only. The ones with spectras might?
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

ummm

Post by batdude »

no, no and no.

hence the reason that the market is becoming saturated with some very nice high end "wideband" equipment.

the spectras and sabers could probably be converted to narrowband... but the cost-per-unit is not going to make it economically feasible... in other words... putting $400 (parts/labor) into each radio just isn't worth it when the rest of the radios are nearing end of service life anyway (figure 10-12 years in the field)

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I figured as much. I guess for the few times they will be using our frequency, life will go on with some audio distortion.

Will any of the radios at least accept a 4 digit decimal (aka- 460.5875) even if it still transmitting in wideband?
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

WB vs. NB...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Matt:

My VHF Saber 3 accepts 12.5 kHz entries with no problem as, of course, does my UHF Saber 3.

For general information, the Vertex VX900 is programmable wide or narrow, transmit and receive, by individual channels. And so are my two Icom IC208s, believe it or not.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

Tom,

The 12.5 is that just in the progamming? When you check it against a Freq counter is it a true 12.5khz TX and RX?
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

So they can take a narrow band frequeny but will still be modulatin on 5kHz of bandwidth basicly. Good. I don't recall which model saber they use but they must be pretty old.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

More on WB vs. NB

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The Sabers stay wideband TX and RX when you set them to 12.5 kHz channels, as you might expect them to. The VX900 actually changes the deviation on TX and the passband on RX.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

All of our FD's kenwoodd's can be set for w/n by channel too. So we are in great shape.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

natedog224

Post by natedog224 »

So turn the deviation down to narrowband specs and change the BPFiltering on the RX IF. Good to go. :)
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

The main channel these radios would be operating on is wideband. The narrow channels are only secondary. Not gonna retune the whole radio for that.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

Anyone know if any HT1000's are narrowband ready? How can I find out (without hooking it up to the laptop)?
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

The last HT1000 I programmed was narrow band capable. Just like the MTS2000, there is a sub-menu for each personality to set that (among other things). I don't know if there are older models incapable of it though.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Hartley
Batboard $upporter

Wide/narrow radios

Post by Hartley »

Hi Y'all,

AFAIK, all of the Jedi-series (HT1000, MT2000, MTS2000, etc.) are capable of being programmed for wide or narrowband operation on a channel-by-channel basis. Ditto the Visar, Waris and Astro Saber.

73 DE Hartley
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Has anybody tried to get a master oscillator crystal from Bomar and the like that meets the new tolerance? If the radio meets tolerance, then it just a matter of lowering the TX deviation. I am going to try it with the MX series, I have too many of them to just throw them away.
Hartley
Batboard $upporter

High-tolerance crystal?

Post by Hartley »

Hi,

To get better than about 10 ppm requires a TCXO as opposed to a simple crystal, and I believe all modern synthesized Motorola radios use these. Unfortunately, they are VERY expensive parts in the higher tolerances.. The only way around this would be to scrounge one out of a dead radio that has the high-tolerance part in it (such as a 900 mHz radio). I've done this on Spectras, but I haven't tried an HT (I'm not a surface-mount guru!)

But then you would still have the problem of a wideband receiver which is tougher to fix, particularly in portables. If you don't narrow up the IF, you are definitely going to get adjacent-channel interference!

73 DE Hartley
larryepage

Post by larryepage »

I wish you the best in converting the radios to the narrow channels, but would like to make one correction. As has been discussed in other threads several times, turning down the deviation will not make a narrow band radio. In addition to the reduced deviation and improved frequency stability, you will have to modify your modulation scheme. Bandwidth is not just deviation...it is deviation plus "important" sidebands. These come from the frequency of the modulating signal and are in addition to the swings from the deviation.

In addition, you are going to have to replace or retune your receive filters to provide the necessary selectivity and avoid interference from nearby channels. When you get into this area, you'll discover why the narrow band radios are generally rated about 10 dB worse than wide ones. Insertion loss goes up and recovered audo goes down. It's a rule of physics and there's really nothing to be done to fully offset it.

Regards,
Larry Page
W5LEP
FCC GROL
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

The area of my operation is not very likely to have much adjacent channel clutter so I am not really intersted in narrowing my receiver. Plus with the new power out limitations, I don't see it as a problem. If a $10.00 Walmart radio can operate narrow band I am sure a MX will sure blow it away. The way I remeber it from USAF tech school, as you turn down the deviation, the sidebands also go down.
There is no new modulation scheme from the FCC that I am aware of. The type numbers are different, which lists the modulation swing, for the required bandwidth.
This is all the same crap as 35 years ago when we had to go to 5KC from 15kC.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”