TX/RX Problem between XTS3K and 5K in Astro Mode

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

calvat

TX/RX Problem between XTS3K and 5K in Astro Mode

Post by calvat »

I've got one XTS3000 and XTS5000 and want to setup one simple ch. for Astro mode, My XTS5000 can RX the signal from my XTS3000, however when TX from XTS5000 and XTS3000 seems no RX on that. I match these two setting seems same one it. Do know why, Doese anyone can tell me what's going on ?

Thanks
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

What if you put the 3k into digital carrier squelch? Can it receive the 5k then?

If not then I'd suspect an alignment problem with the 5k. Recheck the mod comp and deviation adjustments.

Also make sure the channel bandwidth is set correctly on both radios (either 2.5kHz or 5kHz)

George
calvat

Post by calvat »

RocketNJ wrote:What if you put the 3k into digital carrier squelch? Can it receive the 5k then?

If not then I'd suspect an alignment problem with the 5k. Recheck the mod comp and deviation adjustments.

Also make sure the channel bandwidth is set correctly on both radios (either 2.5kHz or 5kHz)

George
When Make TX from XTS3000, the XTS5000 received digital carrier.
But when TX form XTS500, the XTS3000 did received the digitial carrier.

Seems the bandwidth of these two radio are same.

Thanks
xmo

Post by xmo »

On both radios make sure the modulator type is set to C4FM.
xts
Banned

Post by xts »

Also make sure you've correctly aligned both radios. People just don't seem to understand that ASTRO is very sensitive to deviation values. If you've hacked your radio, cloned codeplugs, or purchased the XTS3000 from Nick (aka WatchBuddy) and haven't realigned it, then that's something you should be doing immediately.

These radios just don't stop working all of a sudden. There is a reason your radios can't talk to each other. Software settings such as what xmo points out, or alignment settings - which I'm betting 95% of XTS3000/Digital Saber owners have failed to calibrate in the last 12 months, or perhaps since the initial purchase.
xmo

Post by xmo »

Actually, aligning the radio without having read all the right service documentation can CAUSE the problem. One of the most critical adjustments is the deviation balance which uses two tones a low tone and a high tone.

If you don't follow the directions and make the correct settings on your instruments - you will align it wrong.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Your best bet is to send it to Motorola and let The Pros align it. $83, and you get the use of $4 million of properly aligned (and regularly calibrated) test equipment, a tad bit more than most any of us probably have access to.

Larry

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”