Spectra Motorcycle weathproof enclosure - Antenna Question

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

m151a2

Spectra Motorcycle weathproof enclosure - Antenna Question

Post by m151a2 »

I am new to all of this.

I have a 2003 Harley Police model with a Motorola Spectra Weatherproof Enclosure installed.

I have a Spectra Radio, control head etc, that I am getting ready to install.
It is set to run the 438 - 470 MHz range.

The enclosure has a large metal ground plane inside. It has a 3/4 inch hole in the metal plate, waiting for a drill through of the fiberglass through which the antenna is installed.

I do not know the correct antenna. I see a motorola RAE4024ARB listed as an XTL5000 accesory chart. Could this be it?

If not, another member here suggested an NMO mount with which he had success, and then an antenna of proper frequency range.

Is it really just this simple? Buy a mount that goes through the box, and then a correct range antenna? Does it matter that the box has that large ground plane inside? Does the mount matter for frequency or only the antenna.

Sorry for the long post. But I am truly dumb at this.

Thanks,

Ken
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

I believe the last time I did one of those I used a thick roof mount antenna from maxrad. Also a good suggestion is to take braided wire, like what is used as a ground on crown victorias or 10ga standard automotive wire to make a ground. Go from the bolts that conect the hinge to the top of the box to the bolts that connect the hinge to the bottom to the base plate where the radio mounts.

Using small jumpers it comes out very clean and makes a much better ground plane. Because the original ground plane only uses the hinge and after wear will loose contact and you will start losing the ground plane.
m151a2

Thanks

Post by m151a2 »

Thanks for the tips. The good news is that box comes with plenty of braided grounding straps and the entire inside of the top is a metal ground plane, not just the hinge.

I appreciate the advice on the thick roof mount from Maxrad.

Does the mount pariticpate in deciding what range the antenna will be, or is the range decided by the antenna alone.

Ken
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

Are you sure you want to put the antenna through the cover?

Our motors use an elevated feed-no ground plane antenna, mounted to the rear of the radio enclosure, on the tray that comes with the police model (just above the seat airtank). This serves two purposes - it maintains the weather integrity of the enclosure top, and it gives you a little more seperation between antenna and operator.

You didn't mention it, but do you have a pole light? If you do, and if you have the tray with the grommeted hole for it, I can offer you another tip -
mount the radio box backwards on the tray, and you'll have a much easier time with access. By backwards, I mean with the lock facing the rear of the motor. This way, you can bring the box right up to the pole, and still open it.

I can send you a couple of pics if you'd like.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

In New Haven, they are just using the salt-shacker low profile antennas with an NMO mount right in the middle of the box. Works fine.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”