Simple MSF5000 Question

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hoser

Simple MSF5000 Question

Post by hoser »

Can a R1-UHF (403-435MHz) be tuned above 435 for 70cm HAM use?

Is it as simple as programming it and re-tuning it?

How high can it go?

I suppose an R2 unit would be better since I read it is spec'ed for 435-475MHz.

I've searched and read all posts here. Most of what I've read leads me to believe it is possible.

A simple order of the steps required would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

MSF-5000

Post by Andy Brinkley »

A Range 1 MSF or a Range 2 MSF can go to the 440 mhz amateur bands with proper programming, tuning and alignment.

Save yourself a lot of time and trouble and invest in a service manual if you plan on retuning the pre and post filters in the radio.

Follow the steps exactly as shown in the manual and you'll get the MSF tuned for many years of trouble free service.

You will also need a good service monitor to accomplish the retuning.
Andy / NC4AB
hoser

Post by hoser »

Thanks for the reply!

Looks like I've got everything I need to do the task.

Any other pointers/tips from others well versed in this task are welcome.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

i think i disagree with andy.

you are probably not going to have acceptable performance in the ham bands (440+)...especially if your receive freq is at 447-449 Mhz.

you will have much better luck if you are able to coordinate a 430mhz pair.

i doubt the VCO's would lock up 10+Mhz out of band....but you will never know until you try.

roger with andy - get the manual and follow the re-tuning instructions STEP BY STEP.

one other thing to look at is the cable from the post filter going to the single antenna jack on the outside of the cabinet. you MUST ensure you have the right cable here for either a High In/Low Out or Low In/High Out repeater split - the cables are color coded and stamped with a part # - make sure you check the manual to ensure you have the right cable based upon your new freqs.

also - you will need a sig gen *AND* a service monitor with a spectrum analyzer/RF millivoltmeter to do the alignment.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”