VHF MAXAR 80

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KE9GK

VHF MAXAR 80

Post by KE9GK »

I have another one for everyone here.....I am attempting to save some maxar 80's in our current fleet, they are set up as simplex radios, but we are going to be setting up a repeater system. Does anyone know if channel elements are still available for these radios yet, and the approximate cost?

Thanks as always!!!
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Maxar 80's

Post by kb4mdz »

Maxars are pretty long in the tooth; don't look to sink a lot of money into them before you buy new.

Maxars use crystals; you should be able to get them from ICM (I recommend) or Bomar (never dealt with them). $15 or $20 per crystal?

Tuneup is pretty simple with basic service monitor & the manual. Right now I forget what the sub-ranges are on that radio; if your new frequencies are in the same subrange, OK, if they cross ranges by too much, fohgeddaboutit.

I'll look later & post back.
KE9GK

MAXAR 80

Post by KE9GK »

Well I have a line on maratracs for $175 per radio and I would need 9 of them.....so I was just trying to weigh the cost/benefit ratio of salvaging the maxars!!!

thanks again
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I maintain a system with several Maxars and they are a rugged, easy to maintain radio if you only need a 1 or 2 channel radio.

Get the xtals from International ($20 each) and they work fine. My experience with other vendors is that many crystals need excessive warping to get on frequency when new and then drift out of tolerance in a year or two.

If you need PL and are changing or adding PL tones, that can be an additional expense depending on what type of PL board is in the radio.

The VHF Maxars cover 150-162 but do need simple retuning of the TX and RX if you move more than 1 MHz from the present frequency.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”